Mars Family LDR Upload Issues

Sam

Hey Jared--I'm available if you want to give me a call this morning--I'm pretty sure I'm seeing the same thing you are with my setup but just want to make sure.

Jared And SAM ,
Can You Both Check if The ROMS Of All The Mars Family Drives you have are same size .I Will Also Try And Help With My Contribution To This Issue ,I Am Going To Check This Issue In Lab Tommorow .I am Sure When Three Brains Will Work On This Issue At The Same Time We Are Gonna Nail This

Sam

This is the ROM from my recovery. Same P/N and MFR date is 2 weeks before yours.

Attachments

• ROM_05-9UN_05-A2N_00-6V.bin
    192 KB · Views: 150

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
So here's what I'm finding now. ROM codes that are pretty far off on the serial, will click and then the drive will enter kernel mode and come ready as expected. When I use any close ROM codes the drive will not click but will get stuck busy when powered. So I think it's safe to assume it's not an issue with the heads or I'd be getting the same behavior. It's almost like this PCB is just going completely stupid whenever it reads the LDR, regardless of whether it's from the HDA or uploaded.

Also, no matter what ROM code I use, if I do LDR upload it gets stuck busy on me.

Can anyone just verify for me if LDR upload always does that on PCB 2060-701567 REV A? I don't have another one here yet to test.

Sam

On my Mars recovery I had to do a hot swap with a smart donor each time I wanted to start copying data.
Without a hot swap, the patient drive initializes but shows 0 LBA and doesn't ID. I am, however, able to upload LDR on it and it does not get stuck on busy. Then I can block SA access, read mods, etc.

Obviously you don't have a compatible donor to use for a hot swap to get SA mods, verify heads, etc. At this point you might want to start looking for one. If it was my recovery, I'd probably have worked on the PCB by now to try to extract that ROM. What about the patient PCB is fried? Obviously it's more than just the power diodes--on mine the drive wouldn't spin and I got no status indicators from the PC-3000 when powered on. I took a longshot and replaced the the motor controller IC and was then able to extract the ROM by the terminal port.

jol":1fbspxlp said:
Jared":1fbspxlp said:
So I think it's safe to assume it's not an issue with the heads
I'm still going for heads

Jol ,
In Jared Case i Vouch For Heads 50:50 Percent .Because If You Block SA in ROM You Should Be Able To Upload LDR And DIR From Platter .BTW Jared Disable SA Access in New PCB With Whatever ROM Then Close All Heads But 0 And Try ,Also Close All Heads But Head 1 and try ,Worth a Shot

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Tried all that, no matter what, the second I do LDR upload it's instantly stuck busy. I've ordered a second PCB just in case there is an issue with this one. I also ordered a drive which is the same model and made the same day. Hoping I'll get lucky and the ROM will be close enough to come ready.

Jared":158zkpf2 said:
Tried all that, no matter what, the second I do LDR upload it's instantly stuck busy. I've ordered a second PCB just in case there is an issue with this one. I also ordered a drive which is the same model and made the same day. Hoping I'll get lucky and the ROM will be close enough to come ready.

Well,
Keep us Posted