Mars Family LDR Upload Issues

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
I'm finding something odd here that I've never experienced before. Perhaps it's just an issue with my only PCB of this family. I've got a Mars family drive here I'm working on, original PCB is completely cooked, and is one that stores the ROM code in the main IC rather than the U12. I've got a replacement PCB 701567-000 REV A which I'm trying to use to rebuild the ROM from SA.

Problem is, whenever I try to do ldr upload on the PCB it gets stuck busy. I've tried three different ROM codes on it, tried blocking SA in ROM, bocking / upblocking preamp with paper, etc. but no matter what it gets stuck busy when I do ldr upload.

Has anyone else seen this? Or anyone else have a 701567-000 PCB sitting around and can try doing LDR upload to it. I'm trying to figure out if this PCB has just gone stupid on me, or if this is common to this family.

Jared":3mm0qcc3 said:
I'm finding something odd here that I've never experienced before. Perhaps it's just an issue with my only PCB of this family. I've got a Mars family drive here I'm working on, original PCB is completely cooked, and is one that stores the ROM code in the main IC rather than the U12. I've got a replacement PCB 701567-000 REV A which I'm trying to use to rebuild the ROM from SA.

Problem is, whenever I try to do ldr upload on the PCB it gets stuck busy. I've tried three different ROM codes on it, tried blocking SA in ROM, bocking / upblocking preamp with paper, etc. but no matter what it gets stuck busy when I do ldr upload.

Has anyone else seen this? Or anyone else have a 701567-000 PCB sitting around and can try doing LDR upload to it. I'm trying to figure out if this PCB has just gone stupid on me, or if this is common to this family.

Jared ,
You Are Not Suppose To Block SA ,You Are Suppose To Keep Programming Different Roms And You Will Find One Rom That Reads The Servo Information on The Platters .Once You Achieve This You Will Get SA Access And Then You Will Be Able To Program New Rom By Using SA Modules .Even If You Have Seen This Before Read It Head To Too Once again -> http://blog.acelaboratory.com/pc-3000-f ... -v6-x.html

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Amarbir[CDR-Labs said:
":1y2s66e4]
Jared ,
You Are Not Suppose To Block SA ,You Are Suppose To Keep Programming Different Roms And You Will Find One Rom That Reads The Servo Information on The Platters .Once You Achieve This You Will Get SA Access And Then You Will Be Able To Program New Rom By Using SA Modules .Even If You Have Seen This Before Read It Head To Too Once again -> http://blog.acelaboratory.com/pc-3000-f ... -v6-x.html

I only tried blocking SA access in ROM because I've seen some times where the drive will try to partially load the SA after LDR upload and get stuck busy. In such cases blocking SA access in ROM will prevent this. I know full well how to do LDR upload and get SA access, it's just that this PCB always gets stuck busy, even if it's completely off the HDA or has preamp totally blocked.

Still waiting to hear if anyone else has this same PCB and can try doing LDR upload to test if it works on their board.

Sam

I've got several from a Mars recovery I did recently. I'll check tomorrow.
On that recovery my PCB was cooked too--the motor controller IC was fried. I ended up replacing that IC in order to extract the ROM. Also, I just checked the FW mods I had backed up from a couple of the donor drives I used for that recovery and there is no mod 107, which I believe is needed to regenerate the ROM.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Sam":2vglbhgl said:
[post]8063[/post] there is no mod 107, which I believe is needed to regenerate the ROM.

Really?!?! I though all models that didn't have external ROM had a copy in the SA. I hope I don't have to move the main IC over to another PCB, but I suppose I will if I have to.

Jared":31tikp09 said:
Sam":31tikp09 said:
[post]8063[/post] there is no mod 107, which I believe is needed to regenerate the ROM.

Really?!?! I though all models that didn't have external ROM had a copy in the SA. I hope I don't have to move the main IC over to another PCB, but I suppose I will if I have to.

Well,
To Find Out What All Modules Are Present In Your Specific Case You First Need SA Access ,SA Access Should Be Easy if You Indeed Have a Matching Donor Rom to Your Servo Version in The Patient .You Can Get Away With All The Nonesense They Say In Regenerating Rom By Just Using SA To Regenerate Mod 47 In Rom From SA Just Like You Do For PCB's With External Rom This Works With Internal ROM PCB Too

Sam

Jared":2h0tu0ya said:
[post]8064[/post]
Sam":2h0tu0ya said:

Really. I've been disappointed by this a few times.

I like Amarbir's idea of regenerating mod 47 from SA... once you get access to it. I suppose you can start programming different ROMs into your donor PCB until you find one that allows the drive to come ready, like in the link to the PC-3000 blog that Amarbir provided. But I'll be sure to run that check for you tomorrow. Also I'd be happy to slip you a few ROMs if you like.

In my case, the electrical damage had traveled to the preamp so I had to replace the heads. Then I had to make a smart donor, and the drive would randomly lose readiness. I posted about it a while back... it was a pain in the crack.

Sometimes I wonder if Amarbir's computer automatically capitalizes every word for him. It sure seems like a lot of work otherwise :lol:

Sam":32ywqvij said:
Jared":32ywqvij said:
[post]8064[/post]
Sam":32ywqvij said:

Really. I've been disappointed by this a few times.

I like Amarbir's idea of regenerating mod 47 from SA... once you get access to it. I suppose you can start programming different ROMs into your donor PCB until you find one that allows the drive to come ready, like in the link to the PC-3000 blog that Amarbir provided. But I'll be sure to run that check for you tomorrow. Also I'd be happy to slip you a few ROMs if you like.

In my case, the electrical damage had traveled to the preamp so I had to replace the heads. Then I had to make a smart donor, and the drive would randomly lose readiness. I posted about it a while back... it was a pain in the crack.

Sometimes I wonder if Amarbir's computer automatically capitalizes every word for him. It sure seems like a lot of work otherwise :lol:

Sam,
Its a Dirty Old Habit ,I Will Make a Video For You How It Happens Naturally In My Typing Its Been Ages i Do That .Sorry For This .I Have To Reformat My Computer Once On Sunday As I Had Recently Updated My System And I Have Installed a Mechanical HDD As Main Drive Instead of My SSD .Once I Do That i Will Also Have Tonns Of ROMS's For Jared .

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Amarbir[CDR-Labs said:
":1q6905m2][post]8074[/post] Once I Do That i Will Also Have Tonns Of ROMS's For Jared

Thanks! The more ROMs I can get my hands on the better. Here's a picture of the label: https://goo.gl/photos/62hf1qYCd4Nm6XCW7

I've tried a number of very close serial number ROMs but so far can't get it to go ready or get SA access. If I don't get lucky soon I'll have to resort to moving the main IC and hope it's not cooked.

Sam

Amarbir[CDR-Labs said:
":3cb4gauj][post]8074
Sam,
Its a Dirty Old Habit ,I Will Make a Video For You How It Happens Naturally In My Typing Its Been Ages i Do That .Sorry For This .I Have To Reformat My Computer Once On Sunday As I Had Recently Updated My System And I Have Installed a Mechanical HDD As Main Drive Instead of My SSD .Once I Do That i Will Also Have Tonns Of ROMS's For Jared .

No need to apologize--I wasn't saying it is annoying, I was just being friendly. I'd like to see that video :D