Crazy HDDGuru Ban

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know, I've never done a temporary ban. When I ban, it once and for all time. But, I only do it to the blatant SPAMMERS not other users.

HaQue

BTW, sometimes access is granted back, but "banned user" still shows. I Just pm'd Dmitry and he fixed it.

Also, Ive noticed a few posters on hddguru that reply to a post, but use vague "this is really great, I like your work" type things. they seem to be human, but the relatively low post rate possible with this method, and the lack of links or advertising anything makes me wonder just what is the point???

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, I'm unbanned now, but it's still showing me as banned. Not a big deal, at least I can post now.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
It's alright, I think it makes my profile look cooler. A banned user who's still posting in the forum, makes me look like some sort of super hacker.

dmitry

Folks,

Thanks everyone for a great discussion on the matter.

I agree that it might be a bit heavy handed. In the past I tried to talk to people via PM and ask them nicely a few times to not to do that. It just does not work... I care about HDD Guru very much - perhaps a bit too much - but I am physically unable to read all posts. Hence whenever I finally get a report that something is not right and I open the topic and see 1 spam post and then 3-5 posts of people complaining about the spam and none of them bothered to hit report, it just makes me very upset, that is all.

I always try my best to give everyone maximum freedom possible, and it is sometimes hard to not take things personally... I apologize for handling this particular issue in this way.

LarrySabo

We all love HDDGuru and certainly appreciate the work that goes into maintaining it. I don't know where we'd be without it. Perhaps a call for more moderators to help with administering it would reduce the personal frustration level. If you do it all yourself, you're a bear for punishment and deserve a medal!