Crazy HDDGuru Ban

dmitry

I'd like to provide a clarification: I have noticed this pattern time and again. A spammer makes a post, then there are a few members who will report the abuse right away, but there are others who instead of reporting the post just contribute to the issue by posting "OMG SPAM WHERE'S FREAKIN MODERATOR" kind of posts (which is also spam).

Since reporting a post takes literally 3 clicks (much less work than posting "OMG SPAM"), and taking into consideration that both banned members are very well aware how to report posts (since both run same engine), I am assuming that they contribute to spam on purpose (to promote their own forums/to feel more important etc).

So I was tolerating this behavior for years. Well I finally decided to pull the plug. Apologize if I offended anyone.

On a side note, the ban was set to auto-expire in 2 weeks.

I am attaching a screenshot that illustrates this particular case.

Attachments

• hddguru.png
    hddguru.png
    365.9 KB · Views: 2,073

pclab

Hi Dmitry

Nice to see you here.

Well, I agree with banning, but sometimes it's necessary to see the members history, right?
We can see if a member is a spammer or not and if he/she deserves a ban.
Bye

LarrySabo

Personally, I feel it is rather heavy handed, and for too long a period. I sympathize with the problem but don't agree with the assumption that the people who reply do so to spam. They have made many helpful posts that achieve what is suggested by their reply to the spam in question, yet were not grounds for banning. Banning for two days would get the message across without blocking their further contributions to the forum. Perhaps a ban of just people with fewer than 20 posts would achieve a better result.

HaQue

I don't know if it is heavy handed, maybe, but in my case, made the point well and I hope I have not re-offended. I treat forums conversationary, and I guess that sometimes means a comment where none is required. I guess when one comes to a forum several times a day, 2 weeks is a hell of a long time. But then again if the forum is your life, that might be a problem! ;-)
personally I like a forum where there is control, and I am fine with getting a reminder if need be.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
HaQue":1lli1chk said:
[post]4058[/post] I treat forums conversationary

I totally agree. I guess I though I was just making conversation with Spildit, and didn't think to report the post (assumed that Spildit already did that). I always felt that HDDGuru moderators were on top of the SPAM pretty well and probably didn't need more and more people flagging the same posts. Certainly wasn't trying to support the SPAM or contribute to it.

Anyway, only two more days of my ban left to serve :D . [glow=red]Unless Dmitry has mercy on me ;)[/glow]

Don't worry Dmitry, I'll never ban you from this forum even if you were to SPAM me. Nice to see you here as well.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Looks like I'm not getting any mercy from Dmitry either. Still banned till tomorrow morning. :(