Seagate ST2000LM007 -1 capacity

mindtab

I finally got that screw out. T-6 torx. Had to first run a thin flat screwdriver around the edge; was it stuck? Well, now to look at the whole thing, the arm seems like it sticks as it comes out of the parking area (am not very fluent in all the tech stuff denominations of the parts themselves), so it keeps clicking as it tries. So I can move it manually (the disk spins just fine when the arm is parked), but it seems like it snags at the bottom right before getting to the plater. Probably no hope. Then the arm is fine, right above the platter. System sees the drive sometime. But, wrong size now. Used to show 243201 cylinders, but now over 14,000+ Then it just goes quiet and quits. Yep, no more Seagate for me.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
It's not at all a no hope situation. Probably would have been an easy in and out recovery for a professional had you gone there first. But the more you mess around the more complicated and less chance it has.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

mindtab

Jared. I have no money for that. Yes, it 'sounds' complicated, yet, the will. Succumb to the unavoidable, as it stands. Thank you, though.

Beamansbrew

This is my method of pulling the heads out with the ramp.
In this pic, I'm holding the head assy at the top of the actuator axis and the ramp is suspended in the ends of the heads.
The heads "squeeze" the ramp enough so it doesn't fall off. Once I have it out, I set the head/ramp assy down and stuff spacers (I use ends of toothpicks quite often) between the heads to keep them separated. Reverse the process to put the heads back on.
As you found out, I think it's a bad idea to set the heads on the platters while you get the ramp out. It's exactly like adding a stiction case to your existing one!
One might, alternately, keep the heads spread apart with foil spacers then rotate the heads *over* the platters while removing the ramp.

Hope that helps!

Sam
Hey Sam,
I have a couple of questions. In the picture do you see the screw hole, and how the head ramp is right up next to the edge of the hardrive case. Does that affect taking out the actuator arm and ramp? I am assuming instead of using a Head comb tool, that you took the actuator arm assembly out and ramp all together right? I am just wondering how that went and if the tamp bumps into the corner of the case. I am trying to swap the heads and actuator arm from a donor drive to a new drive without buying a headcomb tool. Any tips on how to do it?

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
If you try pulling out the heads/ramp together at the same time, the ramp will almost always just fall out and the heads will snap together. Game over for the heads. You really need a proper tool for these.