Seagate ST2000LM007 -1 capacity

Blizzard

Does anyone know if PC-3000 supports Seagate Backup Plus Portable ST2000LM007? I get Model, Serial, FW. It shows -1 capacity and can't detect family.

When powered on terminal shows:
Low Current Spin
FAIL Servo Op=0095 Resp=0007
Fail Servo Op=0100 Resp=0007
This repeats for some time and then drive eventually is ready but no terminal access.

<update>This was the response from Ace Labs: unfortunately such drives are not supported now because they have new special ROM structure.
Developers are working on them now, hopefully they add the solution in one of next releases

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
I think that might be Sentosa family. That or Kahuna.

Edit: Nevermind, I think it's a new family. Should still be able to get terminal just using the default F3 family though. Have you tried just connecting the PCB? That or short the read channel.

Sam

Hah! Just had a pleasant experience with one of these. The family is Cheops. But that's not going to help you.
This drive is Seagate's idea of giving us DR pros the middle finger.
PC3K doesn't support it, it has a locked diagnostic port, and you can't back up the SA let alone read the ROM. I had a nice discussion about this with Jon with Data Savers.
On top of it all, ROM is embedded in the MCU. Want more? Instead of screws on the outside, there's a foil label you need to peel off to start. Under that there's the magnet and a thin metal plate held on with screws. The head stack parks on an outer ramp but there's no room for a head comb and the heads don't clear the ramp when you back them off. My solution was unscrewing the ramp and lifting it out with the heads parked in them.

The one I had simply needed reallocate, etc. turned off in HDD ID but as a last resort I swapped the heads with no change.

Afterwards I realized that sending it to Seagate's data recovery center would have been a better option than swapping heads so that's what we did. Hopefully they have the tools to get past their own locked diagnostic port.

The initial quote I received was ~$600. It's going to be at least a week until I get an update for it but I'll post it here.

Concerning your specific case, IMO your options are pretty limited. If you feel confident working with the retarded head stack setup, you might check for poop on the platters then pull off the heads and check for poop on the sliders, then try new heads. I know of 3 other ways to get the heads off if you're interested.
The couple cases I've heard of where contamination was discovered either on the sliders or elsewhere, new heads were promptly killed.

Sam

Blizzard

Thanks for the heads up. Your description sounds a lot like the WD Slim WD7500LPCX

<edit> Don't want anyone to get the wrong idea. I meant the description of the heads and no room for combs. Also the foil cover sounds similar to the WD. As far as ROM and modules you can work with the WD.

Blizzard

I ordered 2 of these off eBay and 1 is DOA. DOM is 12AUG2016. It fails Seatools basic test and makes beeping noises before it locks up. Obviously I don't know how it was handled before but it was shipped with about 1 inch of bubble wrap around it. You can also see the manufacturing on the chassis is different between the two. The working drive is dated 16Jun2016. As expected when you get T> and enter Ctrl L it responds "Diagnostic Port Locked"ST2000LM007-2.jpg
ST2000LM007-1.jpg

Blizzard

I sent the DOA drive back. I'm currently working on a method to safely swap heads. I'll let you know when I have a good procedure. I won't have another drive until Wednesday. I killed the heads on the first one :)
Moving heads to platter first is probably the way to go but on my first test the heads really stuck to the platters. Without some un-stick tools this could end the heads. It seems the drive was made to be light and cheap.

P.S. I forgot to mention, I had the customer send her drive to Seagate back on the 29th. I'm just working out how I will handle these models after Ace gets us past the lock out.