Please suggest a donor drive

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
jol":1miaipum said:
Jared":1miaipum said:
[post]5691[/post] And the winner: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Western-Digital ... xyOypSaV65

That's the one I'd buy as a donor.
You may have overlooked
Its for parts or not working

No, I saw that. But in the description he says this:
This drive has been formatted to "NEW VOLUME" through disk management. No further testing has been done on this drive therefore is not being sold as a 100% tested drive and should be considered an exact donor drive for data recovery. "A donor drive is an exact drive that will be used for all its working parts when doing data recovery". The drive itself may have bad sectors and "WILL NOT" function 100% as a replacement drive in your computer. If you are looking to purchase a fully tested 100% perfect drive for your computer, then we would not advise purchasing this drive. Therefore we have them listed as "For Parts or Not Working"! This drive will make a perfect Donor Drive for Data Recovery!

So the drive is functional, just hasn't been tested to ensure all sectors are good.

You'd be surprised how many times I've bought drives listed as "for parts" when it was the best donor I could find, and it turned out to be a fully functioning drive that arrived. Just last week I picked up a donor that I needed for a case for just $5.50 (literally the cost of shipping). Turned out the donor just had a bad PCB, but I only needed the heads which worked perfectly.