HDDSuperClone

HaQue

pretty impressive work maximus, I have 2 drives here which I plan to test out. I am not a conventional HDD guy so the feedback from someones perspective of just stumbling on the tool that might be attempting DIY may be useful.

what happens when someone tries to use it on an SSD? I see it is obviously for conventional HHD's, but someone is bound to try, just curious if it has any application for SSD's as well, or not, and how it would respond if someone tried.

maximus

HaQue":gcghqzx5 said:
[post]4878[/post]what happens when someone tries to use it on an SSD? I see it is obviously for conventional HHD's, but someone is bound to try, just curious if it has any application for SSD's as well, or not, and how it would respond if someone tried.
I do not have any experience with a failing SSD, so I do not know how well it would react. The head skipping algorithm would likely not be useful. And I don't know what kind of errors an SSD would report. In theory it should still work at least as well as ddrescue.

maximus

I have upgraded the free version from beta to stable status. I have also now added .deb and .rpm installers to the downloads, although I still need to do this for hddsupertool also. I haven't had as much time as I would like to work on it, so it has been a slow process as usual. But now I am getting to the point where I am getting ready to work on the advanced versions, and am trying to figure out my next move. I have to figure out if I am going to jump into working on the gui, or work on the licensing first. And then there is still the hardware side of it. It all has to come together and sometimes figuring out what to do next is the hardest part.

pclab

On my idea, GUI should be worked on.
It's better to see a great tool before of the price.

And great idea of developing the .deb file.

maximus

Yeah, the plan was to work on the GUI next so I guess I should stick with the plan. But maybe with a bit of a twist. I was going to use ncurses as the base for the GUI which is all done in a terminal and would have that dos style to it with no use of the mouse. But now I am looking at GTK which is the real deal for creating a GUI. I am not sure if either one is any easier to learn, but I think I will go with the philosophy of "go big or go home". So now here I am back to writing "hello world" programs again. This is going to take awhile to learn.

Now I only have to keep from getting sidetracked from doing something silly like trying to add terminal access to hddsupertool :roll:

maximus

I am currently in the learning stage for making a GUI. This is the point in time where I need to figure out what it needs to look like. I could use some screenshots of other disk imagers at work, both when imaging and when setting the imaging settings, and what is liked and not liked about the data presented on the screen. If you can point to direct links from the manufacturer that would be great. For instance I have already viewed the video for DDI on their website. Also keep in mind that I am planning on a real GUI and not the DOS style of DDI, although any reference to screen output could be helpful. Any input would be welcome.

maximus

Thanks for the links to the other programs in action. They will be helpful.

As I began attempting to make a GUI for hddsuperclone, I did not get very far at all before it became apparent that I have two issues to deal with. Learning how to do the GUI, and restructuring some (maybe more then "some") of the programming so it will work with the GUI as it is set up to be command line. Doing both at once seemed quite daunting. So I have come up with an intermediate plan. I am working on a progress log viewer that is all GUI. Accomplishing this should give me all the basics that I need to learn for GUI programming. It is not going as easy as planned and the current prototype is slow and eats CPU like candy. But here is a pic just so you know the prototype does exist. The file loaded is actually a ddrescue log from a drive I have.

Attachments

• Screenshot.png
    Screenshot.png
    30.2 KB · Views: 1,400

pclab

Hi Maximus

You are trying to do a "live" view of the sectors being read, right?
What about only a GUI to use all the funtions/options of the tool, and just a viewer of what has already been read in the end, or when we press a special key/function?
Wouldn't it be less CPU eater and even easier to program?
Keep it up