HDDSuperClone

maximus

FYI
I am working on a feature to analyze a drive by reading evenly spaced clusters, and providing a table of zone data with good reads, bad reads, low/high/average read times, plus a read variance test to help detect slow responding issues. The reading is done in stages so as to best provide the evenly spaced reads. It is not perfect, but it can give a very good initial indication of the status of the drive. There are 8 zones for the quick scan and 32 zones for the extended scan, which can give a good idea of what to expect when cloning. This feature will be pro version only.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
It actually looks like they're just selling a crappy old PCIe card to go along with ChallengerOS (which you can download for free!!!)

Reference: http://www.challengeros.com/download/

It even looks exactly like their website. I'm not sure if this Italian site is connected or if they just ripped it off. Looks like a cool imaging tool though. Perhaps I can find a way to move the package over to my usual Linux builds and play with it.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
OK, they must be connected, I see that the free OS download only comes with the demo version. You have to buy a license, and it directs you to his site to buy that license.

Looks very promising. I'll have to check it out.

maximus

Yeah, downloading the iso now. I want to see what it looks like. There is not much information on the website. But the fact still stands... HDDSuperClone does not need a card :)

And it may be possible to use the Rocket recovery tool through HDDSuperClone virtual mode. But I won't know much until I play with it...

maximus

Ok, I played with it for a few minutes, and while it looks interesting, I am not impressed overall. I can't find any help that explains the options, or even much at all. In contrast, I have a stupid big manual where I make an attempt to explain things. And when I found the option to buy, I found the pricing easy to compete with. Jared, if you play with it more then that, let me know what you think. I am not going to waste any more time on it.

maximus

FYI
Even though I am not planning on spending much if any time playing with the Rocket software, there are a couple things I don't like about ChallengerOS just from a very little examination. First, it is based on Slackware, which is not a very active Linux branch. Second, being an OS for data recovery, you would think they would disable the automount feature somehow. I plugged a USB drive into it and it promptly opened it. That is something I disable on my live cd. Plus it only has ddrescue version 1.21, which is now old by two versions. Definitely not impressed.

maximus

And I bet you are forced to run their OS to run the Rocket software. Maybe I am wrong on that, but there is no information to prove otherwise.

maximus

New version released.

HDDSuperClone Changelog

version 1.99.2.beta 20180705
* Fixed the exit message when not run as root
* Fixed a bug with the slow skips count
* Fixed a bug with the last run size value
* Improved the skipping algorithm to help extend the range
* It will now stop when a skip reset happens
* New section in the manual to explain skip resets
* Most GUI messages now included in language translate
* The instruction manual is now available from the help menu
* Added an analyze function (pro version)

nissimezra

maximus":384jtyqc said:
New version released.

HDDSuperClone Changelog

version 1.99.2.beta 20180705
* Fixed the exit message when not run as root
* Fixed a bug with the slow skips count
* Fixed a bug with the last run size value
* Improved the skipping algorithm to help extend the range
* It will now stop when a skip reset happens
* New section in the manual to explain skip resets
* Most GUI messages now included in language translate
* The instruction manual is now available from the help menu
* Added an analyze function (pro version)
Hi maximus
Is there an ISO for the newer version? Or just to install it on lubuntu 14.04?

Nevermind I found it.

Thx