HDDSuperClone

maximus

So my mind has been thinking about pricing possibilities again. Since I will be able to do limited time licenses, maybe something like $30 for a 40 day license, $60 for a 120 day license, $90 for a year license, and $300 for the long term license, prices subject to adjustment changes. The limited licenses would require an online connection for every program run, but the long term license would only require to be online for the installation. I am stopping short of calling it a lifetime license just to leave open the possibility of future major updates that could potentially require an update fee (maybe something like $50 or so) to get that update. Honestly I don’t currently see any major updates like that, but the future is always unknown, and I just want to try to be as prepared as possible. Maybe if I only call it a long term license I will have to keep the price down to $200. But the low limited version starting price would allow someone to try it out to see if it was what they wanted, and also to allow individuals to do one time recovery attempts without breaking the bank. What do you think?

pclab

I think it's a good idea. It's like a trial.
You could also do a "refund" if a client that bought the 30$ wants to upgrade for the lifetime license.

maximus

And maybe I am overthinking it a bit (not like I would ever overthink anything). Maybe only a short term and long term. The short term could be $30 for 45 days, and if you like it and go for the long term before your short term license ran out (maybe a small grace period), the price of the short term license would be deducted from the long term price. Honestly, how many would do the 120 day or 1 year licenses... not many. And if you need more than the short term (such as to finish a recovery that was taking longer than expected) but can't afford the long term, then you would just need to buy another short term license. Maybe a license extension could be possible for the few that need it, the next $30 could be good for 60 days.

The long term license time could be tricky in a way. I know other software will sell a version and then make you pay to upgrade to the next version. But do they have any grace periods for upgrades? What if you buy a version of their software and then a month later they release the next version? You have a license to keep using your current version for as long as you have it, but you can't run the newer version with your existing license. How is that best handled? My long term license would never expire for the version it was made for(so in that way it would be a lifetime license for that version), but could possibly not work on some future version without upgrading the license. How do other software companies handle that in a way that works best? I am not even sure I would do an upgrade version, but I need to leave the option open without making it a bad deal.

LarrySabo

Upgrades to the next major level are free for those who purchased their license withing the past 6 month (or whatever). Beyond that 6 months, upgrades to the next major level are 30% off the new-user price of that new level.... or something like that.

paul90

I was asking one question about PIO mode in other thread and then I heard that HDDSuperClone allows you to use PIO mode on your drives. Is it correct?.

Also, if anyone know if is possible to enable PIO mode at SO level in a SATA disk (in linux). Here is the post where I asked the question :). I tried to set PIO mode in serveral Linux live disks (updated versions) with kernel parameters, but the active mode doesn't move from UDMA.

maximus

New version 1.99.1.beta of HDDSuperClone released:

http://www.sdcomputingservice.com/hddsu ... e/download

HDDSuperClone Changelog

version 1.99.1.beta 20180618
* Changed how skip resets are triggered
* Added Slow skips to the display
* Security lock is now detected
* HDDSuperTool is now part of HDDSuperClone
* Other improvements for the future pro version
* BETA release of the PRO capable version

maximus

This BETA release is finally the real deal. It is capable of activation of the pro version with a license file. I am offering the opportunity for established forum members to get a free trial for the purpose of testing and providing feedback. The temporary license will require that HDDSuperClone has internet access every time it is started so that it can activate. I don't know what time limit I will set on the trials yet, maybe 30 days to get started. If you are an established forum member (and hopefully one that has been active in this thread) and wish to test and provide feedback, send me a PM requesting a trial PRO license.

TheBladeRoden

Hi any change you would think about adding a feature where it generates the logfile automatically (instead having to stop it and do it manually) so I can watch ddrescueview in real time once again?

maximus

TheBladeRoden":vs5ng5hq said:
[post]10861[/post] Hi any change you would think about adding a feature where it generates the logfile automatically (instead having to stop it and do it manually) so I can watch ddrescueview in real time once again?
Sorry, I dropped the auto export to a ddrescue log. But that is because I created HDDSCViewer, which is similar ddrescueview except for HDDSuperClone logs. The documentation is somewhat lacking for it, but there is an auto update option that should not be hard to find. I would not recommend leaving HDDSCViewer on autoupdate for extended periods (like overnight). I have had issues with the system being locked up when using it overnight, I think maybe because it tried to read and process a log while the log was in the process of being written, but not sure. It is still kind of considered to be alpha... But it does work and can show a visual of the running HDDSuperClone progress log.