HDDSuperClone

nissimezra

Good morning,

After 10 hours it shows 20 hours to finish, but 99.9966 finished. Very slimier result to ddrescue.

Please note that ddrescue was set to attempt to read bad sectors only once.
This one on default setting

regards

maximus

It sounds like that drive just has a bad spot, which is affecting the MFT / folder data. I would expect a very similar result that you got with ddrescue, assuming you used the option --idirect (short option -d) when running ddrescue.

nissimezra

Hi Maximus,
I use ddrescue GUI live not ddrescue command line.
So as for the result:
The first 24 hours it managed to clone 99% of the drive, I had to abort the recovery but I resumed it after few hours.
After that I did play with the setting tried many different option, After that I continue with the default setting. It is still running day 3 now 99.978% or so.
I did check the drive after 24 hours and it did a great job. Real world it would of been enough for me after the first 24 hours.

Anyway it is very comfortable to use, easy to stop and resume, seems slower than ddrescue but more reliable.

What is missing.

A user manual would of been very appreciated, even that I read all these posts couldn't find what each function doing.

As for the future it is going to be my first choice then if it will not work I'll try ddrescue.

I'm not a data recovery expert, I'm an old electronic technician from the TV repair days.

Anyway great tool thank you for your work and if you have any question feel free to call me anytime, I am in montreal.
You can find my info here http://cslpc.ca/

maximus

Anyway it is very comfortable to use, easy to stop and resume, seems slower than ddrescue but more reliable.
For the most part it should be just as fast as ddrescue. There was a comparison done where it was slower, but I hopefully addressed that in version 1.10 by not turning off the OS buffering for the output file/device.

What is missing. A user manual would of been very appreciated, even that I read all these posts couldn't find what each function doing.
http://www.sdcomputingservice.com/hddsuperclone/manual

I don't have a direct download to a file version of the manual (maybe I should), but if you download one of the tar.gz files in the download section there, you can extract the files and there should always be a manual (will be the "help" files) in both plain text and HTML (and now also including OpenDocument version).

nissimezra

Hi maximus
I did not do speed comparison, I aborted the scan and resume it many times after the 24 hours. I played with the setting so no speed comparison done. Important to note the ddrescue did not finish the clone it aborted it at around 99%.
I will download the tar.gz and learn the manuel.

I was in process of buying rapidspar but now I'm wondering if it'll give me any benefit now that this tool is around.

Anyway looking forward to test\buy the paid version

I will post more result once I'll receive more work

thx and good luck

pclab

One big advantage of Deepspar, is that you can handle heads (enable or disable them), while with with DDRescue or HDDsuperclone you can't.

nissimezra

Hi pcLab, thanks for the input
Yes I am aware of it, in some cases I do miss having it, Rapidspar has this option maybe it worth buying it just for the hard cases. 2000$ is not that bad +350 a year. Very affordable.

Thx

nissimezra

maximus":18fj9juf said:
For the most part it should be just as fast as ddrescue. There was a comparison done where it was slower, but I hopefully addressed that in version 1.10 by not turning off the OS buffering for the output file/device.

What is missing. A user manual would of been very appreciated, even that I read all these posts couldn't find what each function doing.
http://www.sdcomputingservice.com/hddsuperclone/manual

I don't have a direct download to a file version of the manual (maybe I should), but if you download one of the tar.gz files in the download section there, you can extract the files and there should always be a manual (will be the "help" files) in both plain text and HTML (and now also including OpenDocument version).

Hi Maximus.

I have new job Toshiba 2.5 500 gig to clone. I will post the result later.

Any chance to a simple user guide please?

Regards

maximus

Sorry, I don't have a simple guide, maybe some time in the future. But I will say that the simplest way to use it is to not mess with any settings unless you know what you are doing (have read and understand the manual). I made the GUI so that to get started, it will tell you what you have not done yet, such as choose a (new) project, source, and destination. So basically you choose an existing or create a new project (which is the log file), choose the source, choose the destination, and start cloning. The default options are usually good. When you think you need to change the options, then you need to understand how the options work, and why you think you need to change an option for your case. That is where things are not so simple or easy to explain. It would be like trying to make a simple manual on how to fix a modern car engine when it won't run right.

maximus

So back to the programming. After working out some issues with the driver, I have successfully used partclone through the driver to create a domain of used space on a test drive. It is not a single step process, but hey, what do you expect from what should be an affordable option to much more expensive tools. The drive was 160GB, and it took about 6 minutes to process a 140GB NTFS partition to get the used space into the domain. Partclone used high CPU so it was the primary factor for the speed. This is of course after a few minutes of initial processing, since this test drive is suffering from the WD slow issue. I did try to test a drive that has a weak head and many small errors, but the bitmap file had read errors, and therefore would not work. So the bitmap file must be readable for this to work properly.

While there are still some more tweaks that need to be made, I have started the major code revision process that is needed to get this program ready for the pro version. And the first thing to happen is that the command line version is gone, about a couple thousand lines of code (60kB) removed to clean things up. So it is official, the next version will not have the command line option, it will be GUI only.