Seagate ST2000LM007 -1 capacity

Sam

This is my method of pulling the heads out with the ramp.
In this pic, I'm holding the head assy at the top of the actuator axis and the ramp is suspended in the ends of the heads.
The heads "squeeze" the ramp enough so it doesn't fall off. Once I have it out, I set the head/ramp assy down and stuff spacers (I use ends of toothpicks quite often) between the heads to keep them separated. Reverse the process to put the heads back on.
As you found out, I think it's a bad idea to set the heads on the platters while you get the ramp out. It's exactly like adding a stiction case to your existing one!
One might, alternately, keep the heads spread apart with foil spacers then rotate the heads *over* the platters while removing the ramp.

Hope that helps!

Sam

Attachments

• crappySeagate.jpg
    crappySeagate.jpg
    752.4 KB · Views: 3,305

Blizzard

Update: I'm glad I decided not to open the customer's 3 month old ST2000LM007. It has been to Seagate and then Drive-5avers and they both returned it as unrecoverable.

Larry ,
Our Acelab Dealer in India Vikas Seth Has Been Doing Great Job With Such Drives .One Of My Students Amol Khadse Also Does amazing Work With these Drives .Head Swap is Possibly By Not Removing Ramp And Also Not Moving Heads To Platter .We To Are Now Able To Do It

Blizzard

I think many of us are capable of head swaps on these by now. But how many of us have the ability to fix firmware issues? By the way, the client returned the drive to me and it was not pretty. I just wish I had inspected it before it made the rounds.
ST2000LM007 platter.jpg

mindtab

Hello. I was searching around the net for info on this drive model, which I have. I can't access drive after I had plugged it into an Asus AC87U router. In the beginning, at least it showed the files and folders, but folders were empy and files said 'not found' although I could see them and their size. Then, later, it started making this constant beep. Beep-pause-beep-pause; almost like a busy signal. Not very loud, but audible. I tried 'Testdisk' and at first it reported the right size but no partition. Later, it couldn't find the drive at all. --- So I opened it up, after reading that maybe the heads are stuck. I removed the foil, and got all the screws out except for the one about 1/4 down from the top. What tool should I use? Is there any hope? I have too much data on it. Thank you for any advice.

Blizzard

+1
jol":1p5bhb3h said:
Send it to a DR pro

tick...tick...tick BOOM!

I just had a Samsung/Seagate ST1000LM024 that a computer shop opened first. I could have probably unstuck the heads AND used them but...
Head swap and lots of bad sectors.