Seagate Kahuna "Waiting drive spin up" Error

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
So I've got this 2.5" ST500LM000 Kahuna-5400 drive that spins up pretty normally. Makes one slight click (very slight) then goes ready. It correctly ID's but errors out if you try to read a sector or access SA. I notice that in terminal when I press Ctl + Z I get the following response:

Code:
Rst 0x40M
Servo Processor Is Reset. 
(P) SATA Reset

Waiting drive spin up 
 Waiting drive spin up 
 Waiting drive spin up 
 Waiting drive spin up

However the drive is spinning fine. What does this sound like to you guys, PCB issue? I'm still waiting for a compatible one to arrive so I can rule it out. Just seems really strange to me, I've never seen this before.

Update: I notice too that if I hit Ctl + Z immediately on power on I can get terminal, but still won't let me do anything.

hddguy

the Kahuna series are usually hybrid sshd and can init from nand memory, if HDD has issues it can still initialise but data can't be read.

if PCB is at fault and it is in fact sshd then PCB replacement will be extremely difficult as nand can contain information like rom and sa and is accessed first so donor PCB with patient rom will still identify with donor id .

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, you are right. I wasn't thinking too much about the SSD portion of it, which would explain why it still ID's. After a bit more playing in terminal, I was able to get it to return some servo errors when trying to manually access system files. So I'm pretty sure at this point that it is the read/write heads and not the PCB. Just a strange error code to see which was throwing me off.

Whole new learning curve on the SSHD's. When you do replace the PCB's on these, do you usually just physically transfer the NAND flash to the new PCB?