Great Day for Data Recovery

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Wow, today has been a stellar day for data recovery. Had two unexpected jobs show up, both were head stuck WD drives. Freed them both up, and both immediately ID'd. First one was a 500Gb WD Blue drive which imaged 100% in about 5hrs, not a single bad sector. Second one is a 2Tb My Passport, which is now about 10% imaged without a single bad sector and at a great speed. Didn't even have to put a SATA board on it like I normally do, it's just working. :D

LarrySabo

Great! I love jobs like that, but feel guilty charging much for them. :)

I may have asked this before, but how do you go about freeing stuck heads? Do you use a comb that lifts the heads from the platter, and then check for missing/damaged heads? I don't have such combs so just rotate the platters and slowly restore the heads to the ramp. That risks damaging the platters of course, but I just can't justify the price of proper head combs to do it right.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
No I don't use any special combs in most cases. It's mostly just good technique at spinning the platters and guiding the heads back.

LarrySabo

Okay, thanks Jared. I had a vague recollection that that's what you had written once before, but I couldn't find the post.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Update on the second job, imaged all used sectors by bitmap. Not one single bad one on it either. Crazy! If only these days happened more often I could afford to buy a car that isn't rusting out.

pclab

Got a case of a WD 3,5" with a bad USB card and encryption chip. The client took it to a PC store and they couldn't see any data eheheheh
Got another card and voilá heheheheh