Great Day for Data Recovery

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, I just figure that it's extremely rare to have two cases go that well in the same day. I've got plenty more here that I've been working on for over two weeks to no avail (or profit). So that's all just part of offering fixed tier pricing, gotta take the good with the bad.

hddguy

I think a big factor in cases with static friction where heads are stuck is how many times client tried to free it or continuous powering of it. Each attempt to power or unpark will 'tug' at the heads but the slider will be stuck to the media and all the forced attempts to get it going can affect geometry which will affect things like slider/heads shape, size and positioning and this can cause severe damage to both the assembly and/or the surface.

HaQue

I had one: computer shop tried and no luck. I hooked it up to a PC SATA Port, it imaged with no issues, full recovery using PFaM to mount the partition in the image. I actually don't think there is anything wrong with the disk. Customer said they were deleting a virus from the computer when it wouldn't boot, and computer shop said the virus must be a hard drive killer virus. I didn't have the energy to go into it, and took my $50. They were "lucky" as the computer shop did install a new 1TB disk and vanilla copy of win 7. for $250 plus disk cost of $120. They didn't even patch windows to service pack, do any updates or install motherboard chipset drivers. Actually this really P's me off!!

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
HaQue":3xrjskpk said:
I didn't have the energy to go into it, and took my $50.

Wow! You're cheap. I charge $175 to clone a drive even if it's perfectly healthy. Otherwise it isn't worth the time spent tying up the equipment or explaining things to the customer.

HaQue

yes.. was cheap, This is one of those jobs where it was kind of a mate - not a close mate but he lives in a country town, said PC shop is in a country town and they all talk. He talked the owner of disk to give it to me, so I had something to prove I guess..

The bank apparently paid $83,000 to get a data recovery job done, which could be a "fish this big" story.. don't know.. but everyone wants my card.. I am the legendary computer expert it seems, I already had calls from the next towns computer shop and a lady for SD card recovery in the first week.

These things can bite you in the ass, happened before, so will see if it was worth the gamble. :)

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
My experience has been that people who want cheap prices and beat you up on price, tend to refer others just like them. I find it's better to just let those people walk and wait for new customers who are willing to pay more to get a quality service. Otherwise you just run around not making anything.

But, a mate is a mate. When friends need my help, I just do it for free. That way there's no price for them to mention to other people.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Today seems to be another great day for data recovery. I'm batting 1000 so far all day. Maybe it's finally time to headswap that ST3000DM001 that's already been to two other data recovery companies before it came here. ;)

Or do I not want to break the streak and ruin an otherwise perfectly good day.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, I held off on that headswap. I'll save that disappointment for later. Did have one evaluation come in at the end of the day that's a definite lost cause. Not much surface even left on the platters, maybe they should have sent it in to one of those places who can recover 99% of all cases instead, LOL!