Full erase method

pclab

Hey Guys

One question: what do you guys use to full erase a drive?
I use HDD Low Level format, but it takes several hours to erase a 2TB drive....
Any faster solution?
Thanks

Alt-RTT

Actually, deleting all partitions on the drive, creating a new one for the entire disk, and then full-formatiing it is more than enough to wipe the data.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
I like my little cloner/wiper because it gets them off my workstations and can handle it all completely disconnected from a computer. Its also handy when logical recoveries come in because it can clone a healthy drive at speeds up to 6GB/min. I'm actually considering buying a couple more of them.

But even with just one, I can wipe 6~8 good size drives per workday. Though I usually just plug in two each afternoon before I go home for the night, and the next day they are ready. It also keeps track if it finds any bad sectors on the drives, so you know if they are failing before it happens during cloning an actual job (very annoying when it happens).

w.simon

Here for cloning i use : 500GB / 1TB / 2TB and 4TB drives

i use an already zerofiled drive that i clone with this (
Free-Drop-Shipping-All-in-One-USB-3-0-2-5-3-5-SATA-HDD-Dock.jpg
) on the drive i want to

then now i use an old computer with DBAN, i boot on a old write protected usb drive,

LarrySabo

Alt-RTT":3irx3ov2 said:
Actually, deleting all partitions on the drive, creating a new one for the entire disk, and then full-formatiing it is more than enough to wipe the data.
Really? I thought that just replaces the MBR/GPT, and MFTs. I thought a raw scan would enable recovery of the data after that. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Not if it's full formatted. If it's quick formatted, then it can be recovered in RAW.