Full erase method

lcoughey

I use MHDD to erase on some older systems set aside to wipe. But, for larger drives and larger volume wipes, I connect a bunch of drives to linux systems and erase them all at the same time with ddrescue at speeds averaging around 200MB/second per drive.

But, there is no way around it...it takes time to zero out a large hard drive.

pclab

I started to erase a 2,5TB drive this morning. Left it to work during the night because it didn't finished during the afternoon...

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, but at only $75 more the one from Startech (sold cheaper on Newegg) can wipe two at a time and can also be used for high speed cloning. And it is fast, maxes out most any drive. Plus if you want to be able to use it on IDE drives you can use this adapter http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... -_-Product

Though I must admit, some IDE drives are twitchie or just don't work with the adapter.

vrocco

I agree with you and part of me wishes I had discovered your option first. I may still pick one up for fast dual drive wiping. I do still like having the option of Secure Erase though as well.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
The one I have can also do DoD level secure wiping. I never bother to use that feature (unless a paranoid customer insists) as we all know it's just a waste of electricity. But it is there. I generally just use the zero-fill option.

hipo

I use DBAN, can wipe all hdd's connected to PC. Like @lcoughey mention old PC is good for that. For extra SATA connection i have PCI card with 4 SATA ports.

pclab":coywuswu said:
[post]569[/post] Hey Guys

One question: what do you guys use to full erase a drive?
I use HDD Low Level format, but it takes several hours to erase a 2TB drive....
Any faster solution?
Thanks

Hi,
No solution is Faster .first of All If You Wipe it With Zero Filling Or Do a Firmware based erase they all take time .Now if a product claims to do erasing faster then its not possible because drives cannot handle that speed .every office setup in data recovery has atleast 1 computer that works non stop .You Can Add a Few USB Docks " Like Vantec " To That That Are USB 3.0 And Then Use Active Killdisk To Erase Multiple Drives At Same Time .If You Are Out Of USB 3.0 Slots You Can Buy a USB 3.0 Card .Once They Are Erasing It Does Not Matter cos that Computer of Yours Is Already Doing Other Interesting Work