How to check to see if Wd is encrpyted

pclab

Hi Guys

I got a doubt on this subject: What and how to check if a WD is encrypted or not (the USB ones).
I have a case in hands, were I could image the drive OK but couldn't get the files, although R-Studio could find a Smartware partition.
But how to be sure?
Thanks

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Just look at sector 0, if it looks like a MBR and you can read some of the text then it isn't encrypted. If it's funny looking then it's probably encrypted.

w.simon

If you see no 00 00 00 00 in hexeditor and repeated patern in place of, be sure you are facing one encrypted case :)

pclab

I don't have DE for PC3K :cry:
I have know to get a PCB or another working WD with the same encryption chip, right?

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, that is definitely encrypted. Too bad you don't have DE, you could decrypt on the fly if you did. If you've already imaged the drive encrypted you should be able to decrypt using a My Book USB bridge. You just have to be sure that you set the LBA of the destination drive is set to be exactly the same as the original drive was (as shown by the SATA PCB). Then just match the encryption chip. If you provide the details of the encryption chip, I can point you in the right direction of which USB bridge you need.

hddguy

Unless its Oxford encrypted, most Oxford cases do not have copy of key in the drive, but your image looks like encrypted MBR so it should be ok.

Search in Winhex for string '57' at offset '0' from the end of the drive in reverse, post the key it finds and we can tell you which bridge you will need.

w.simon

hddguy":xxuop7ic said:
Unless its Oxford encrypted, most Oxford cases do not have copy of key in the drive, but your image looks like encrypted MBR so it should be ok.

Search in Winhex for string '57' at offset '0' from the end of the drive in reverse, post the key it finds and we can tell you which bridge you will need.

Just for my knowledge the oxford bridge is the one for the mybook mac edition with 2 firewire ?