WD30EFRX PCB-swap, server/pc cuts power when connected.

rutxwjuh

Re: title, WD30EFRX-68EUZN0 had a broken SATA (data) connector after someone had been servicing a running server and managed to stretch/pull the cables too far.

Orig PCB was PCB 2060-771945-002 with 512k flash, found a PCB 2060-771945-001 with 512k flash and transferred the contents. If connected to a pc/server it instantly cuts power (ungraceful shutdown). Doesn't spin up if connected to a separate power-supply.

What could be wrong, ideas/etc?

rutxwjuh

Just to be clear, I've tested the same PCB connected to several other drives and the proper flash contents, no issue there.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Did you check the TVS diodes on the PCB to see if one is short-circuited?

rutxwjuh

There doesn't appear to be any diodes on the PCB, at least not that I can spot. Also, the same PCB is working fine with other drives (and appropriate rom/flash contents). Please elaborate/explain?

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Test these with a multi-meter to see if there are any short circuits. Those are the TVS diodes.

1653835416605.png

Also, did you try connecting just the PCB to the computer to see if it still trips the power supply? It seems odd that the same PCB would work on one HDA and trip the power supply when connected to another. But, maybe there is something else unusual going on like a short-circuited motor winding.

rutxwjuh

Yeah, I was about to do that, but on a lark I pulled (and flashed) a 2060-771945-002 (not 001) PCB from a working drive, and now the drive isn't tripping the PSU and it even spins up. So it would seem that 771945-001 and 771945-002 are not cross-compatible. Seems this change happened between 2014 and 2015 EFRX.

New/second issue though, as the drive has "spun up" you get the familiar "soft ticking"-sounds for a about a second followed by... this one second long and much louder sucking/Darth-Vader-breathing/something like that-sound. Happens twice at a two second interval and then drive spins back down. The connected PC can see the drive, model, WWN but not the serial number or size (reports as [sda] 72057594037927936 512-byte logical blocks: (36.9 EB/32.0 EiB)).

Ideas?

rutxwjuh

Yeah, ran out of patience with this drive. I removed the top cover, seems the sound is caused by one of the heads making contact with one of the lower platters and so it snaps back after two tries and the drive spins down. The top platter seems to have some "wear" in one area towards the outer edge. I'm guessing the drive is pretty much toast?

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
If it's the very outer edge, then it might not be catastrauphic. But, it's no sounding like a DIY case in any event.