WD1600 Hell Week

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Sam":39rgdcr1 said:
[post]7456[/post] It took me a month to make a tool to suspend all 3 platters, allow me to spread them apart, and keep rotational alignment while I worked on each platter surface.

I'd love to see a picture of what you rigged up for this. Interestingly enough this post gave me a concept idea for a tool to do just that. I just need to order a good 3d printer so I can prototype up one.

Sam

Amarbir[CDR-Labs said:
":3nu73rju]

Sam ,
I Have Two Questions For You ...

First : You Designed And Made A Tool To Spread a Multiplatter Platter And Not Loose Alignment .Is This What You Said .If Yes I Too Have a Few Idea On This Project Myself But i Will Not And Cannot Implement It right Now .I Need Some Time To Complete Old Projects And Settle Down

Secondly : You Cleaned The Platter ,You Know We All Have Had A Variety of discussions on this in jareds forum ,Can you mind sharing how and what you did in this regard .

Third : Did any of you try the gorge screwdriver i suggested ?

Obviously I did quite a bit of cleanup on the tool after this pic was taken to make it cleanroom-ready. Also, as rough as it looks, the measurements are precise--it took quite a bit of time to get them right.

1) The main idea behind the tool was to keep the platters from moving around while cleaning them. Taped the spacers in place. Platter alignment was kept with metal tape. If I have another case like this I'll figure out a way to put spacers on the outside edges too.

2) I first cleaned the platters with many alcohol swabs that I had dried out. I was pleased with the result of that--platters looked spotless while angling a high-output LED flashlight on them, the same way I typically check platters. Well I had the idea to turn off the light in my cleanroom and check them again and what a stark difference that makes-- Those platters are NOT clean! The main layer of dust was gone but it looked like much of it was ground into the surface. Could barely get any of that off with a dry wipe and only seemed to move the stuff around. Reminded me of why I started using wet wipes after toilet paper (it is NOT clean down there!).

The solution was bunched-up pieces of cleanroom wipe dripping with 99.9% IPA. I had to cut the wipe into smaller pieces and find the right size for the optimal effect. There are some intracies which I'd be happy to help with if anyone is unable to figure it out through experimentation.

3) I have never run across a situation where I've needed to consider torque on the HSA screw. I do however carefully mark original lid alignment before removing it.

Attachments

• tool.jpg
    tool.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 1,214
Sam":3h8gi06d said:
Amarbir[CDR-Labs said:
":3h8gi06d]

Sam ,

First : You Designed And Made A Tool To Spread a Multiplatter Platter And Not Loose Alignment .Is This What You Said .If Yes I Too Have a Few Idea On This Project Myself But i Will Not And Cannot Implement It right Now .I Need Some Time To Complete Old Projects And Settle Down

Secondly : You Cleaned The Platter ,You Know We All Have Had A Variety of discussions on this in jareds forum ,Can you mind sharing how and what you did in this regard .

Obviously I did quite a bit of cleanup on the tool after this pic was taken to make it cleanroom-ready. Also, as rough as it looks, the measurements are precise--it took quite a bit of time to get them right.

1) The main idea behind the tool was to keep the platters from moving around while cleaning them. Taped the spacers in place. Platter alignment was kept with metal tape. If I have another case like this I'll figure out a way to put spacers on the outside edges too.

2) I first cleaned the platters with many alcohol swabs that I had dried out. I was pleased with the result of that--platters looked spotless while angling a high-output LED flashlight on them, the same way I typically check platters. Well I had the idea to turn off the light in my cleanroom and check them again and what a stark difference that makes-- Those platters are NOT clean! The main layer of dust was gone but it looked like much of it was ground into the surface. Could barely get any of that off with a dry wipe and only seemed to move the stuff around. Reminded me of why I started using wet wipes after toilet paper (it is NOT clean down there!).

The solution was bunched-up pieces of cleanroom wipe dripping with 99.9% IPA. I had to cut the wipe into smaller pieces and find the right size for the optimal effect. There are some intracies which I'd be happy to help with if anyone is unable to figure it out through experimentation.

3) I have never run across a situation where I've needed to consider torque on the HSA screw. I do however carefully mark original lid alignment before removing it.

Hello sam,
Thanks for the explanation on this .My Idea Is to Make a tool concept is right here in my mind .We Insert This Tool in a multiplatter platter arranged drive ,The tool hooks to each platter ,Once this is done i unscrew the top screws and then lift the platters up ,Once they are up i start operating a bunch of screws they will retain platter alignment but keep separating the platters ,Once this is like a inch or two separate from each other i will remove the platter separation ring from each platter and then hook up additional tool on platter to keep them from slipping/loosing alignment further .Once this is done i will get the platters out of main tool on the table and inspect clean them and once done hook it back to main tool and reverse the process ,I am 100% sure i can do this and it will work ,For the next three months i would be clearing some backlog i have to start working on tools whose idea i have in my mind .If i need i will take help from mechanical department of our local college/university .We could start with a purely mechanical machine and later on automate it using a micro controller and a set of stepper motors

pc3000

Amarbir[CDR-Labs said:
":28kjslo3]
Sam":28kjslo3 said:
Amarbir[CDR-Labs said:
":28kjslo3]

Sam ,

Hello sam,
Thanks for the explanation on this .My Idea Is to Make a tool concept is right here in my mind .We Insert This Tool in a multiplatter platter arranged drive ,The tool hooks to each platter ,Once this is done i unscrew the top screws and then lift the platters up ,Once they are up i start operating a bunch of screws they will retain platter alignment but keep separating the platters ,Once this is like a inch or two separate from each other i will remove the platter separation ring from each platter and then hook up additional tool on platter to keep them from slipping/loosing alignment further .Once this is done i will get the platters out of main tool on the table and inspect clean them and once done hook it back to main tool and reverse the process ,I am 100% sure i can do this and it will work ,For the next three months i would be clearing some backlog i have to start working on tools whose idea i have in my mind .If i need i will take help from mechanical department of our local college/university .We could start with a purely mechanical machine and later on automate it using a micro controller and a set of stepper motors

Amarbir, I'm waiting to see a picture when your tool is ready

LarrySabo

Colour me dumb but I'm having difficulty imagining how your tool/process works, Sam. :shock: From the picture, it's just not obvious how you separate the platters and maintain their angular alignment. (Perhaps this discussion should be out of the public domain?)

Have you tried cleaning the platters in situ using an ultrasonic cleaner? Also, while I understand, in theory, that precise platter alignment should be a non-issue with modern drives, I haven't had any luck once it's lost. HDD Surgey's tool (and your experience) suggests that it should not be an issue.

Sam

Larry, I like your suggestion. I'd be happy to go into more detail if Jared gives me access to the Secrets room. :D

LarrySabo

The link is at the bottom of the index to the forums, here.

Looking at the list of members of that sub-forum, it appears the list is either out-of-date, of you are indeed not on it. :(