WD10JPVX - 22JC3T0

Sometimes in trying to please clients I end up being at the loosing end. In this case, the client actually got the particular file he needed. But because it's was in RAW, and I don't want to loose out completely after all the effort. So he negotiated the price downwards and I agreed.
Moreso, the DR profession in Africa is still growing, and it's really expensive, after spending so much on donor, you might just want consider and accept their offers sometimes.

LarrySabo

Bankole Oladoja":n2hkmiep said:
... after spending so much on donor, you might just want consider and accept their offers sometimes.
Is it feasible to have the customer pay for the donor up front, and for it to be non-refundable--no matter the outcome of the recovery effort? That would give him/her an incentive to accept the quote, and would remove the risk of the job being rejected after it is done. Of course, the quote would have to be provided up front as well, not when the job is done.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
LarrySabo":267fuj6c said:
Bankole Oladoja":267fuj6c said:
... after spending so much on donor, you might just want consider and accept their offers sometimes.
Is it feasible to have the customer pay for the donor up front, and for it to be non-refundable--no matter the outcome of the recovery effort? That would give him/her an incentive to accept the quote, and would remove the risk of the job being rejected after it is done. Of course, the quote would have to be provided up front as well, not when the job is done.

+1.

I used to buy donors myself, and I ended up losing money on way too many cases. Having them pay for the donor shows a level of commitment on their part, as they have now invested into the project. This way you find out who's going to end up backing out on you before you've invested a lot of time / money / effort into it. I simply explain to customers that I'm risking my time on the project as I don't get paid if the recovery is a failure, but it's up to them to risk the parts needed to attempt it. If they aren't willing to pay for the parts up front, then the either aren't serious about the recovery or they would just be a problem customer who will try to re-negotiate the price afterward.

@Bankole - If you got the file he needed, then he'd have paid you the full price anyway. You just had to stick to your guns and let him know that if he rejects the recovery the data won't be released to him. He'll just get back his broken drive, and can then try going somewhere else. Customers are sometimes like teenagers, they can smell weakness and will always try to exploit it.

LarrySabo

I never negotiate price; it's take it or leave it. They usually take it because other places capable of recovering their data are much more expensive, plus they will tack on an opened-drive fee that boosts the cost even more.

LarrySabo

What works here (Canada) may not work in other markets, where haggling (negotiating) is to be expected. Almost all my East Indian customers for computer repairs want to haggle price, because I think that's the way it is back home. I just tell them I'm a lousy negotiator so have fixed prices. :)