WD Passport Works after Head Stuck

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Amarbir[CDR-Labs said:
":355flezh]
Jared":355flezh said:
With this one I just spun the platters gently and moved it back to the ramp. But it didn't have far to go.

Jared ,
Most of the WDC do not work that way .Before ertools i used to remove ramp carefully take out heads off platter put ramp back put heads back on ramp

Wow, you're waking up threads from 2 years ago. :lol:

Jared":22myctxc said:
Amarbir[CDR-Labs said:
":22myctxc]
Jared":22myctxc said:
With this one I just spun the platters gently and moved it back to the ramp. But it didn't have far to go.

Jared ,
Most of the WDC do not work that way .Before ertools i used to remove ramp carefully take out heads off platter put ramp back put heads back on ramp

Wow, you're waking up threads from 2 years ago. :lol:

Yes,
I like the forum quite a lot and i read old threads ,I have 23 pages pending .A discussion is a discussion

Jared":187ochai said:
[post]366[/post] I just had the most amazing thing happen today. Had a WD Passport drive come in with heads stuck to the platters. I freed it up which went very smoothly. Plugged it in via USB (just to see what it would do) and the the thing just outright works! I'm about 20% cloned now just through the USB connected to the host coputer and it's only hit a couple bad sectors. Amazing!

I've never had a passport go so easy before, they always seem to need new heads whenever I get them. Just thought I'd share.

2 days, I got similar situation with WD5000BMVW , head stuck and released could imaged 100% of data without any single bad sector , the problem is when case closed the customer want his patient HDD back and guess what ?? The patient drive working perfectly without any problem , I told him of course that the drive is unreliable and can't trust to put his data on it , but from the customer perspective he think that just paid around 150$ for simple mystery trek or pushed button and charged allot of money and the patient drive just working fine and could hold another year .

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
In such cases I usually just explain to the customer that we've done work to the drive to make it operable for now. However, I warn that it'll likely just fail again soon enough so they shouldn't trust it. Usually once people get the point that you had to fix the drive to extract the data they understand.

abedalkareem":1cbye1zi said:
Jared":1cbye1zi said:
[post]366[/post] I just had the most amazing thing happen today. Had a WD Passport drive come in with heads stuck to the platters. I freed it up which went very smoothly. Plugged it in via USB (just to see what it would do) and the the thing just outright works! I'm about 20% cloned now just through the USB connected to the host coputer and it's only hit a couple bad sectors. Amazing!

I've never had a passport go so easy before, they always seem to need new heads whenever I get them. Just thought I'd share.

2 days, I got similar situation with WD5000BMVW , head stuck and released could imaged 100% of data without any single bad sector , the problem is when case closed the customer want his patient HDD back and guess what ?? The patient drive working perfectly without any problem , I told him of course that the drive is unreliable and can't trust to put his data on it , but from the customer perspective he think that just paid around 150$ for simple mystery trek or pushed button and charged allot of money and the patient drive just working fine and could hold another year .

Simple ,
Open It and Put The Head Exactly Where it Was Before You Worked On It .This is the way he gave it ,Return the drive to him in the same way