WD NAS Drives Encryption

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
I'm having an odd issue with a couple of WD NAS drives that seem to be running WD encryption. PC-3000 only detects the "Self Encryption HDD" key, not any other key. However, if I use that key the data, though changed, still appears encrypted.

I'm wondering if this is one that isn't supported by PC-3000 for decryption. I've attached modules 25 and 38. Perhaps one of you WD encryption experts can tell me if it's an unsupported one that we'll just need to sit on for a while.

Attachments

• 38.rpm
    128.5 KB · Views: 135
  • 25.rpm
    128.5 KB · Views: 143

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
I suppose it's possible, but given that through the NAS it shows a clean empty volume there isn't much else to try anyway. I know that it was mistakenly reset, so I suspect if there was encryption happening on that end it's a new key now.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
According to this customer he was actually setting up a second NAS, and for some reason the WD utility created a new volume set on both NASes not just the new one. I suppose it's possible, I've seen crazier things happen.

drdoc

I have one of these
2 drives striped
1 drive with media damage

same issue data is encrypted
is there a decryption solution?

I can see the data through the nas.
I want to clone the failing drive
and put it back in the nas
but then I need to get the same decryption keys transferred to the clone.
hopefully its just the 2 mods.
I wonder if it salts the key with the serial number or something...

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
drdoc":bueuzzwk said:
I have one of these
2 drives striped
1 drive with media damage

same issue data is encrypted
is there a decryption solution?

I can see the data through the nas.
I want to clone the failing drive
and put it back in the nas
but then I need to get the same decryption keys transferred to the clone.
hopefully its just the 2 mods.
I wonder if it salts the key with the serial number or something...
I know with the NAS I looked at, PC-3000 wasn't finding any encryption keys in the SA. But given that I knew mine had be secure reset, I didn't spend a lot of time digging into it.

My fear with these is that the key may be stored in the NAS board rather than on the drives. But I really don't know.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk