WD Encryption - Forgot Password

datahaze

Hi,

I'm trying to recover data from a client's 2TB Western Digital Passport (MDL: WD20NPVT-00Z2TT0). The drive is in perfect condition physically, and I'm able to image it completely with PC-3000 software. But the data is encrypted, beyond just native WD encryption, which PC-3000 can decrypt automatically. WD Marvell utility detects a decryption key, but when I select the key it asks me for a password.

They always kept their drive plugged into their iMac so they don't remember what password they chose when setting up/encrypting the drive (I'm assuming they used WD SmartWare). It seems like their password would be stored somewhere on their computer, but I'm not sure where that would be (I'm gonna have them check in Keychain). Any advice? Thank you!

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
I usually just have them write down every password they can remember ever using to log onto the computer/etc. and start trying variations of them. Most often it's a password they've used before elsewhere.

Short of guessing/remembering the password, there isn't much to try. I know someone on HDDGuru was working on a brute-force password guessing tool, but I don't think they ever shared it.