WD Elements 4TB - 2060-8000041-003 REV P1

mrkappa27

Hi all!

I had an issue with my WD Elements 4TB with PCB 2060-8000041-003 REV P1: no lights or spin when I connected the USB connector, only sometimes I've been able to make it work while bending a little the usb cable.

I tought to fix everything opening the case and use a classic sata to USB adapter but this wasn't the case, here we have a different scenario... thank you WD o_O

After some search I've found the solution: order a new PCB and move the BIOS chip from the old PCB to the new.

I ordered the same PCB, same code and rev.

Today I swapped the bios chip and mounted back the new PCB on the HDD and, good news: the HDD spins up and the USB controller is recognized by the PC but I'm not able to see the drive content.
If I go to the device manager everything looks fine but if I open the Disk Manager I can see my disk as Offline and not initialized + I see a pop up asking me if I want to inizialize it in GPT or MBR mode.

Note: the bios chip on my original board is a IS25WQ040 and in the new board was a Winbond. I assumed that they're interchangeable due to the same identical PCB code.

Do you have any tips for me on how to save my data?

Thank you so much 🙏

pclab

Data is encrypted by the main MCU.
You need to use an "external" PCB to connect to the USB PCB and decrypt data.
What's your PCB model?