WD Diablo3D Missing Module 11

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
I've got a really strange case here. It's a WD Diablo3d drive which has some firmware issues. Using a donor ROM & LDR I'm able to get SA access, read tracks / modules. Even after loading the utility using the profile folder containing the patient module 01 (dir) it doesn't see a module 11 being on the drive. Even after doing a search for modules in the tracks I don't find module 11.

However if I analyze the dir module in the viewer, I do see a reference to module 11. It's like it doesn't load it properly in the utility or can't find it. I'm just trying to get the original ldr since no one seems to have the resources for this specific model.

Anyone ever seen this before?

Update: Module 02 is MIA too. What in the world is going on here.... :?:

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Further Update:

After some more checking, I found a second dir module in the SA search. One dir module doesn't have modules 11 or 02 and only has a total of 428 modules listed, the second one has 444 which includes modules 11 & 02 however they don't appear to be where they are supposed to be (missing headers) after I load the utility using that dir module.

I've got to start quoting more money for cases like this. :roll:

So after doing some searching manually in the SA region, I've found the module 11 header. I'll have to try extracting it, then start looking for a good copy of module 02. What a crazy case.

hddguy

Do you have some resource of the same revision? Try an offline start using mod 01 from donor with same FW version. This is what I would try first. Without 02 or 11 drive will not come online alone, I would guess that dir module has some damage.

After load LDR and search for SA modules, can you see directory address for mod 01, does it correlate with the address at the SA Regions window?

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
I actually managed to fix this one last night. Hard to explain exactly how I did it. I didn't have the resources from this exact FW revision as no one seems to have it (0004005M). So what I did was actually change the FW revision number inside the ROM to 00040050 which I did have resources for, then used the LDR for that one. Amazingly the drive actually ID'd after that. It was extremely slow, but I was able to extract the key modules I needed from it (11 & 02) and perform a slow responding fix. Then I put the ROM back to original, used its own LDR and BAM! Drive ID's and has sector access. I wrote the LDR back into the SA a couple times just to be sure, and now it starts up all on its own and reads like a brand new drive.

So I'm thinking the LDR was the issue the whole time and it wasn't allowing it to read the directory of modules properly. Hard to say.