WD Board Swap Question

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
protech":g8n9hz17 said:
In my case it worked on the middle two pins :?

Are you referring to the SATA board or the USB one? On SATA it is the middle two, but for USB I'm pretty sure it's the corner ones. Unless Boot ROM code can also work on the middle two...

ScotchBroth

Thanks for all the help so far everyone!

PC3K is telling me that the com port isn't communicating correctly (in Russian of course), and I've been unable to get around that roadblock thus far.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
And I assume you're using the boot ROM method? Can you upload a picture of your com connection? It's tricky with USB boards to get them into boot ROM mode, takes a bit of timing when you plug in the USB cable. But, it usually always works.

ScotchBroth

71xnjIE.jpg

There is a picture.

I am using the boot ROM method.

I get this dialogue in the PC3K Log

HDD Initialization...
Проверьте правильность выбора и подключения COM порта
HDD Initialization...................... : Error

I've moved the COM adapter and gotten the same results.

ScotchBroth

Wow!

I tried it again with the setup I have pictured. and it worked like a charm. Literally tried this 2 dozen times.

You guys are amazing!

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, I've been there myself quite a number of times. It takes some practice to get the timing of plugging in and pressing enter down, but usually does work. Hope the rest of the recovery goes well.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
If it is able to clone well using a SATA board, just be sure to check if the data is encrypted. Most often it is, but sometimes it isn't. It's a shame when you spend two days imaging only to discover that you forgot to set the decryption on. :shock:

ScotchBroth

maybe this is an inexperience with PC3K (In fact I'm sure that it is) but I've got the ROM off of the patient drive. Do I put the ROM onto the donor board while that board is still on the donor drive or do I do it when it's on the patient drive (probably not the latter, but the first option doesn't seem to be working either)

It's got the Initio chip on the original board so it's almost certainly encrypted. I don't have DE for my PC3K either, so I'll need to figure out another means of extraction.