WD Blue 1 TB WD10EZEX

Fenix

How can I recover data, pictures and videos from this drive after Windows System Restore Operation?

Operating system installed Windows 7.

Have been reading a bit on file recovery from R-Studio site after using Windows 7 System Restore to recover from BSOD (post Microsoft patches that brought a lot of PC's down back in early January). The result? I was able to boot to OS but my a lot of files are now invisible so I suspect either tags were removed and still here or they have been written over and forever gone.

As I understand System Restore pretty much formats the drive so it writes over which is the worst to recover data. It is a big drive so I am hoping I can recover some if not all my files with data, pictures and videos. The drive hardware is good and my only issue is how to recover data.

Need a little guidance to DIY with software. Noticed there are guides in this site so will be heading there to read some.

When this happened I was in the process of building a new system which is now operational, Ryzen based. So I could either transfer the drives there or work from exiting PC with Athlon 64 2.3Ghz and 4G memory.

Hardware is fine, no mechanical issues or bad sectors. As I read into data recovery you want to create an image and work with this instead of drive, which makes all the sense.

Questions.

Programs: From what I read R-Studio, Recova, EaseUs, Kroll or Stellar Phoenix are good options. Lots of people seem to vouch for Recuva, R-Studio seems to be good for photos and videos but can be complex to use.

Is there an easy comprehensive guide that explains the basics of creating an image, setting and using file recovery program and how to ultimately transfer files back to your drive? Which programs can handle large files in excess of 500MB, more like gigabytes?

Your feedback is appreciated.

Fenix

pclab

HI

You did a system restore (restore point) or a factory restore (where the system get's formated)?

First of all: stop working on that drive (don't boot windows on it). You should connect it to another PC and work on it from there.
Second: I think you should use R-Studio (it's one of the best out there). The free ones sometimes are not so good finding the data or have recovery size limitations.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Fenix":3u8wyx4i said:
[post]9619[/post] Programs: From what I read R-Studio, Recova, EaseUs, Kroll or Stellar Phoenix are good options.

R-Studio - Very good choice
Recova - Only if you insist on a free option
EaseUs - Mediocre (for the price R-Studio is 10x better)
Kroll - Don't bother
Stellar - Only thing "stellar" about is web spamming their brand. Total waste of money and whatever you read was definitely just paid spam of theirs.

Other options that you might consider:
R-Explorer (not affiliated with R-Studio despite the similar name)
GetDataBack - ugly and older feeling program but surprisingly powerful under the hood

But, as mentioned, don't attempt installing software on the same drive you're recovering from or even attempt booting that computer. Take the drive out, clone it if possible onto another drive to preserve the data exactly as it is, then scan it with software to see what can be recovered.