wd adaptives for hot swap

Jirbun

Hi
I failed to do smart hot swap on wd Zephyr with same model and firmware (but last number of rom version was different) is't could be becouse I skipped the microjogs averaged step or the different of last number of rom version ?
I didn't find in mrt something like microjogs edit function the only thing I find is this but not seems to be the microjogs value of the three disk heads.

Attachments

• head adap.jpg
    head adap.jpg
    391.1 KB · Views: 1,911
  • dp.jpg
    dp.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 1,911

hdd00

Hi
Do you want to swap heads or do you want to do a smart hot swap? These are two different things and microjogs are needed only when you want to replace the heads.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, microjogs are not what you need to be considering. I'd start by checking the SA zones in ROM to be sure they are a match, as well as check the location of the directory module in ROM. If those are different you'll have to really jump through some hoops to set up a SHS drive and you may just end up needing to use a different drive.

Jirbun

hdd00":160ehlyq said:
Hi
microjogs are needed only when you want to replace the heads.
I followed this ace video what-is-a-smart-hot-swap-t2374.html#p11716 But in Zephyr family I try it react different almost on every step, in the end the donor drive can't be unidentified.

Jared":160ehlyq said:
I'd start by checking the SA zones in ROM to be sure they are a match, as well as check the location of the directory module in ROM .
Where I can find this information,do you mean here ?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    287 KB · Views: 1,889

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Jirbun":ioccq0gp said:
[post]12165[/post] Where I can find this information,do you mean here ?

No, that's not it. I'm not sure where the option is in MRT (of if it even exists). In PC-3000 you can edit the SA regions and dir module location in the ROM code.

Jirbun

It appears in MRT in similar words,you can see in the first screenshot I upload in the top part,so the SA zones and directory location in ROM are the same in both drives but because the directory location in MRT grayed I'm not sure it's accurate so I also compared module 0B on both drives and it was identical,so does that mean the problem is something else ? if so I will detail more about the steps I did.
And by the way both drives function properly.

Jirbun

pclab":3fc8auio said:
I never averaged microjogs on hotswap...
What kind of errors do you get?
In my case drive A:WD7500BPVT-80HZT3 firmware 01.01A01 ROM firmware 0065000U
Drive B: WD7500BPVT-80HZT3 firmware 01.01A01 ROM firmware 00650018
So the question is if smart hot swap is possible when ROM firmware a little different at the end because to find exact rom with all numbers is very hard almost every drive with the same model have different numbers in the end of rom version.
So in this cases some of the patient moduls size will be different from donor so even after write patient modul 01 to donor and power off\on then succeed to write all other patient moduls to donor and do other steps in the end you will come to point shown in this screenshoot then power off\on and the donor drive can not be identified and with 0 capacity.
Another thing I noticed is when I succeed to write all other patient moduls to donor there were some delays and clicks in the middle of writing which maybe indicate on some mismatch.

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    242.1 KB · Views: 1,852

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Jirbun":21u1why8 said:
[post]12199[/post] It appears in MRT in similar words,you can see in the first screenshot I upload in the top part,so the SA zones and directory location in ROM are the same in both drives

I don't see anything about the SA regions in any screenshots. I'd honestly be surprised if MRT supports editing it yet.

Jirbun

It looks similar to pc3000.

Attachments

• in pc3000.jpg
    in pc3000.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 1,848
  • in mrt.jpg
    in mrt.jpg
    215.6 KB · Views: 1,849