Water-Damaged WD MyBook Studio Edition II Quad Interface 6TB

SennaSempre

Hello, this is my 1st post and the reason why I joined. I have a water-damaged hard drive 6TB that had water on-or-in it for 1 day and then I dried it out. I see no water corrosion damage anywhere on the drive itself or the internal control board in the chassis or housing.

This hard drive would not power up when plugged into a 15" MacBook Pro but it did when plug into a 27" iMac using the same stock AC adapter. The power status with the 27" iMac has the front light blinking but no spinning of the platters.

I read that it could be a problem with the control board in the housing unit and to use a SATA-USB connector straight into the computer which I've done to no avail. I've tried this 3.3V pin tape-hack explained in Step 14 here -

...and still nothing on both drives. I don't know what else I can do which is why I'm asking you. Some extra links to the exact model I have with the online manual and attached photos. Any advice is greatly appreciated, thank you.

Online Manual - https://www.manua.ls/western-digital/my-book-studio-ii/manual

SennaSempre

If I bought a SATA Hot-Swap Docking Station (if they come set up for RAID 0 drives, I don't know?) would the drives sync up and work or would they not because the raid configuration may be stored in the PCB of the old housing - the WD MyBook Studio Edition II casing that it came with?

Also if I bought a new-used My Book Studio Edition II only to use the housing and pull out the new drives and replace them with my old drives...

I was told that I don’t want to install them into another My Book Studio Edition II chassis only for the new housing PCB to detect that there was a change of drives and that new housing PCB will “helpfully” wipe the partition information so I can use them as empties, loosing all of my data.

Would either or both of these 2 statements be true? Anyone have any experience with these particular RAID 0 setup WD drives?

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
WD externals very often encrypt/decrypt the data via that SATA-USB bridge adapter board. So it's not surprising that a generic USB/SATA adapter won't recognize the drive. There's a number on the board that you need to match, and you can usually get one on eBay for a reasonable price. Can you take a couple clear pictures of both sides of that adapter board?

SennaSempre

WD externals very often encrypt/decrypt the data via that SATA-USB bridge adapter board. So it's not surprising that a generic USB/SATA adapter won't recognize the drive. There's a number on the board that you need to match, and you can usually get one on eBay for a reasonable price. Can you take a couple clear pictures of both sides of that adapter board?
Hello Jared, the model I have is an old 2011 version which I believe is before their 256 AES encryption and MyCloud and all the key problems that MyBook Duo owners have in the later models. I also don't use WD proprietary disk management software. I just plug it into an OSX and that's all.

I'm thinking that this is a burnt out voltage diode on the either the PCB attached to the external drive casing or the PCB in the housing enclosure itself or both. My 2 possible approaches here are...

1) buy another exact sister model, housing drives the whole package and swap the BIOS ROM chips from the old PCB's on the drive casings to the new drive PCB's and mount those new boards onto the old recovery drives. BUT will that work or do I have to do the same swap with the RAID Controller chip on the PCB in the housing enclosure from the old PCB to the new PCB as well?

2) or still do as I explained above but use an aftermarket dual SATA RAID docking station. BUT will that work or do I have to have the WD RAID Controller from the PCB in the housing enclosure for the 2 drives (was set up as RAID 0 by default) to co-mingle with each other to access the data? If it doesn't work then I am forced to do the 1st scenario just to use the WD housing and it's PCB.

Attachments

• WD 2TB My Book Studio Edition II Quad Interface 01.jpg
    WD 2TB My Book Studio Edition II Quad Interface 01.jpg
    397.5 KB · Views: 3
  • WD 2TB My Book Studio Edition II Quad Interface 02.jpg
    WD 2TB My Book Studio Edition II Quad Interface 02.jpg
    361.2 KB · Views: 3
  • WD 2TB My Book Studio Edition II Quad Interface 03.jpg
    WD 2TB My Book Studio Edition II Quad Interface 03.jpg
    341.1 KB · Views: 2
  • PCB 02.jpg
    PCB 02.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 2
  • PCB 04.jpg
    PCB 04.jpg
    430.6 KB · Views: 1
  • Housing 01.jpg
    Housing 01.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 3

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
I also don't use WD proprietary disk management software.
Has nothing to do with the hardware level encryption.
old 2011 version
Long after they implemented encryption into most of their drives IIRC.

swap the BIOS ROM chips from the old PCB'
Getting way ahead of yourself here.

First off, how do the two drives sound when just powered on with nothing but a power cable? Do they sound like they spin up normally, a bit of crunching and then just quietly spinning?

If so, there's almost certainly nothing wrong with the PCBs. Although, you may want to take a pencil eraser and clean up those dirty contacts where it makes contact with the HSA pins (what you have in that red rectangle).

SennaSempre

The drives sound like nothing, no noise, no vibration, they don't spin up but power is going to the PCB in the enclosure since the display lights on the front go on for about 10 seconds then turn off. So I'm thinking that the enclosure's PCB should be okay (or maybe not) and there is no power transferring to the PCB's on the drives' casings themselves. Just troubleshooting what makes logical sense.

Question - If I buy a sister drive, the exact same enclosure and drives, (and I know that the RAID Controller in that enclosure is tied to the individual drives themselves) but if I simply swap the PCB's from the new drives and put them onto my old drives and put my old drives into the new enclosure... wouldn't 'that' enclosure's RAID Controller STILL correspond with those particular PCB's now mounted on the old drives and recognize them and not overwrite them? ...therefore I can access my data safely?

SennaSempre

I have been watching YouTube videos comparing the DD Command and DMDE since its a good way to get a visual on their completed steps before I start and come to those steps.

Both approaches seem quite easy to do even for a novice like myself but the DMDE GUI does make things more simplified and explanatory. It's actually quite a powerful program.

Right now I'm testing out these 2 approaches using smaller, mostly empty other SSD's before I start my real recovery. I'm using 2 SSD 480 GB for this bench test.

I also have re-purchased the exact same model WD MyBook Studio II but with 4 TB in size (mine is 6 TB) and that is still in RAID 0 by default. (Could be used for PCB swap and BIOS ROM soldering swap if I need to)

Testing SSD source drive holds only an OSX op system at 18 GB and no other personal files. SSD destination drive is empty, and the write speed is 1% per minute so it's going to take 1 hr and 30 min to complete.

When creating a disk image or cloning it, both DD Command and DMDE wants to use the whole destination disk space. (Side Note: my recovery 6 TB RAID 0 drives have 3 to 4 TB of used data on them)

My question is: the full 3 TB Disk 1 recovery drive will be cloned to the new 4 TB Raid 0 enclosure. Then how will I be able to clone the 2nd 3 TB Disk 2 recovery drive without overwriting the first 3 TB Disk 1 recovery drive as the disk image/clone method wants to use the whole destination disk?

And if I split the new WD MyBook into 2 partitions (to not overwrite the 2nd disk image over the 1st one) then how would I be able to link up those 2 partitions in RAID 0 if it's no longer 1 drive and now 2 separate drives?

Update: I just completed a test run on the 2 SSD 500 GB's and it took 2 full hours to copy sectors to the destination drive which shows nothing copied, no change in disk info or in disk utility, how can that be?