USB WD20SMZW 2TB HDD

myiannakou

Hello,

I have the above drive with controller 2060-800067-001 Rev P1. There was a massive crack along the width of the controller board where a customer had been wiggling the connector. The drive showed no LED light and did not spin up.

I ordered a replacement board exactly the same part number and transferred the ROM chip over and now I get the LED light but the drive does not spin. It does identify but says it can't work out the capacity. Any help appreciated.

I don't have PC-3000 but I do have RapidSpar if that helps.

Thanks a lot.

myiannakou

No sounds at all. If I swap the ROM chip over it does spin up but obviously that’s not a solution. So it seems that the original ROM is preventing it for spinning up.

pclab

Maybe the new PCB is not fully compatible.
Have you also tried to read the ROM on a programmer for instance?

pclab

I had a case last week where I was swapping ROM to a compatible PCB number, and didn't even spin.
The problem was that the PCB MCU chip was not the same.
Got one with the same first 3 digits of the MCU and it worked.

myiannakou

I see. I'm attaching a picture, would you mind marking the MCU so I can check? Thank you

Attachments

• HDD1.jpg
    HDD1.jpg
    300.7 KB · Views: 9

myiannakou

OK I think it's the chip under the red thermal pad in which case it's an exact match.

Main Controller IC:88I1053-NXZ2
HDD Motor Combo IC:B23AA

Both match

Last edited:

myiannakou

Hve read both the customers ROM and the doner. They both read ok. I have ordered a SATA equivalent which claims to be unlocked but it won't arrive for 20 days.