Toshiba PCB Won't Come Ready

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
I've got a Toshiba drive here that's clicking. Normally I'd assume bad heads, but I decided to first try backing up the CP so I can later program a new PCB (don't have this one apparently).

I used the normal trick of pressing enter in terminal after powering on, but this one never goes ready. It does return ">" in terminal but then all the status lights just go dead.

Is this common on some models? Or perhaps am I dealing with a PCB issue and not bad heads at all. Any thoughts?

pclab

Hi

Today I got a strange thing:

I was working on a toshiba MK5076GSK, to try to refurbish it.
It was detected fine and I could read all CP's.
I cleared Smart and G-list. Then I power it off and on, and now it's always busy...
Even with just the PCB connected...
Any way to get it back to work?

Thanks

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Have you tried the trick of pressing enter in terminal right when you power it on, to see if you can get it ready? If you can then perhaps just writing the original CP back might make it work again.

If you can't get it ready that way, PM me and I'll share another trick that might work.

hddguy

For most cases, the status register will initially show BSY then all registers will go off. At this point a soft reset can sometimes give ready state.

Alternatively, place patient PCB on a donor HDD and after some knocking it should come ready allowing access to CP