This Doesn't Build Confidence

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Does anyone else see something wrong with this picture and caption taken at Drivesavers:
http://www.pcmag.com/slideshow_viewer/0 ... o=4,00.asp

I'm pretty sure running a drive with the top cover removed is a really bad way to recover data. Should we tell the guys at DriveSavers they're doing it wrong? :lol:

This one is even funnier: http://www.pcmag.com/slideshow_viewer/0 ... o=6,00.asp
Picture is of a dog and heading is "Inside the DriveSavers Clean Rooms"

Maybe if I bring my dog into the clean room then my cases would be worth $2000 a pop too.

hipo

This is probably only for picture...showing clean "clean room" :D
In one PC SCSI cabel, IDE cables, SATA disks plus open HDD...one picture 1000 words.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
The caption clearly describes them as working with open spinning drives trying to fix them.

LarrySabo

The dog picture caption reads "The technicians who work on logical data recovery don't have to deal with bunny suits and HEPA fans." so not in a "cleanroom."

They not only abuse the public's trust and gullibility with misleading pictures/narrative like that--they give the industry a bad name/reputation. Too bad it's so common in the industry. And the BS bunny suits are the icing on the cake. I don't have a cleanroom, I have a laminar flow bench which is used to repair drives in a "cleanroom environment."

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
I think we all just use the benchtop clean room hood. There's no point in a walk in clean room for data recovery other than to dupe government bureaucrats into thinking they're more "high tech" than they really are, then setting standards that make no sense so there's no competition for their projects.

LarrySabo

Jared":aaiza3qm said:
[post]4699[/post] I think we all just use the benchtop clean room hood. There's no point in a walk in clean room for data recovery other than to dupe government bureaucrats into thinking they're more "high tech" than they really are, then setting standards that make no sense so there's no competition for their projects.
Northwind and PCimage have bona fide clean rooms, I believe, as well as laminar flow benches within them. Neither strikes me as the type that would have them just for marketing purposes but I think one would have to do a lot of recoveries to make them worthwhile, aside from the BS-factor.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
No, I think it is mostly all just BS factor. In fact, between you and me, I've actually heard that from some bonifide clean room owners. Only possible benefit I can see to a walk in clean room is that it's slightly more convenient than working with your hands in the box all the time.

Now not all clean hoods are created equal either. Some which I don't like are a wide open front which requires either really high airflow to keep positive pressure, or are susceptible to dust drifting in. Those I think should be used in a walk in clean room. But the ones like mine which have a plexiglass front and flaps where just your arms go in, really don't need to be in a clean room. Just gotta keep up with cleaning inside between periods of use, and allow a few minutes of running to push out any contaminants before starting any work. Besides my bench meets 10x the standard of any walk in room.