ST31000528AS, 1TB 7200.12

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
jimmy5":1ab5zqn4 said:
[post]9983[/post] i now tried to run "chkdsk /r" command, it actually turned it into quite unusable drive, because it now only gives a cyclic redundancy check error and the whole drive is "unallocated"?

Because running chkdsk was the worst thing you could have done. Why bother to ask advice on a forum if you're just going to do your own stupid stuff anyway? Now your recovery just became a whole lot more complicated.

jimmy5":1ab5zqn4 said:
[post]9983[/post] so can i somehow fix the mbr now with spinrite for example?

Why not just douse the drive in Gasoline and light a match? It'll have pretty much the same end result as your planned course of action.

jimmy5

well, i guess i sometimes do weird stuff and then even more weird stuff happens... because i now managed to get the whole drive back by just unplugging it and then plugging it back in... and i think i probably had a faulty power cable and also a faulty sata2usb adapter now, so im waiting for a new adapter and will try to clone the whole thing on a new WD disk later?
although im not even sure which version is the latest ddrescue or which commands i need to use in there... and i will probably try to plug them both directly in then without any adapters. or at least the failing drive...

and if i clone the whole thing, can i then use "chkdsk /r" on the new cloned drive then? or how can i get the most data out of it or get rid of these errors? i think it got like 10% done when i used the chkdsk /r command(and it fixed some bad entries), but then the adapter probably failed... :?