ST2000DL001 Bogart--Can't modify head map

Sam

I've got a case with some media damage on the top platter and need to bend the head back and disable it.
Before bending the head back the drive did initialize and ID but after bending and changing ROM physical head map to 00 01 02 03 04 04 the drive just clicks once and spins down. I've also tried doing this with logical head map. After reading back modified ROM, I can see the head map changes are still in place.
Upon further investigation, I don't think the head map is actually being changed.
With the same model donor, I've reproduced this issue by going so far as changing physical head map to 02 02 02 02 02 02 or 05 05 05 05 05 05, etc and the drive still initializes and I'm able to read from each head.
Just to make sure I wasn't missing something or my PC3k wasn't on the fritz, I switched to a couple different models and modified the head map like I normally do and the drives responded as they should.

Is there something special that needs to be done in order to modify the heads map on this model?

In the meantime I'm going to dust off my Seagate DFL tool and see if I have a different result.

Edit: Same result with DFL tool.

Sam

I've played around with the max head setting in SAP control flags and it makes no difference. It just seems like none of the changes take effect.
For example, with a Grenada ST2000DM001 (4 heads) if I change the ROM heads map to 00 01 02 02 or change Max head to 2, the output from F3 7>x is
Head 00 Resistance 0189
Head 01 Resistance 014F
Head 02 Resistance 0153
Head 03 Resistance FFFF

If I do the same thing with any of the Bogart ST2000DL001s (6 heads) I have, even if I change the ROM heads map to 00 00 00 00 00 00 or set Max head to 0, the >x output is normal for all heads.

Sam

Solved:
This ROM has 2 copies of SAP and PC3K was modifying the first copy. Apparently on this drive the 2nd copy is the active one. Changed max head in 2nd copy.