St10000LM024 External HD failing (Video of issue attached)

NOVADCbac

Hello, first off apologies if this is in the wrong place it is my first time here.

I have this old hard drive that has failed and it is making this sound.
I was wondering if it was possible to get any kind of diagnosis from this.

Thank you in advance for your help.

I am also looking for someone in the DC/ Norther Virginia area to possibly help with fixing this.

pclab

It's not very perceptible... Is it making a beep sound or a click, click sound?
These drive tend to have stuck heads though.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
I believe I placed in the wrong section
I moved it to the Samsung section and left a permalink in place so it'll still resolve. No worries, there's no nazi moderators here, just normal people.

I couldn't hear it either, even at max volume. Can you tell if the platters (disks) actually are spinning, or is it just a beep/hum and it never actually spins?

P.S. We'd be happy to take a look at it in RI if you're willing to mail a few states over.

NOVADCbac

Very interesting that y'all can't hear it. The sound is loud and it should come through. However it is best described as: About 15 or 20 "beeps" the beeps could be actual beeps but are more likely to be a motor trying to spin, struggling, then giving up.

I will try to get a better sound recording of it. Ultimately I will probably end up sending it to someone to be fixed but I'd like to understand the issue and attempt to find someone local.

Thanks for the help so far, and the moderation style is appreciated.

pclab

If you don't hear the platter spinning, probably it's heads stuck in platters.
If all goes well, it will not be need a head swap, so it might be a "cheap" recovery.