Seagate UltraSlim (Rosewood)1TB and 2TB Technical Reviews

Blizzard

Jared":2n6x2hno said:
Honestly, I haven't done anything different than my usual method of carefully spinning the platter while gently guiding the heads back.

Maybe, I've just been lucky so far. Most I've seen that were head stuck had the heads pretty close to the ramp, so it took very little movement to get them back.
Same here, actually had 2 so close to the edge that the ramp tool worked. Also had a 2TB with 2 mangled heads, stuck to platter, head swap worked. But it's not always so rosy with the Rosewoods. I have had some that eat heads or you can see through the platters.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
I just did another head stuck one last week. Got the heads free and imaged 100% with original heads.

Took more time to open the stupid cover than anything else.

LarrySabo

Blizzard":twnnem72 said:
[post]9569[/post] Same here, actually had 2 so close to the edge that the ramp tool worked.
Which ramp tool do you use, David? I only have the Apex Lab Tool but am finding it is not well secured to the commutator and apt to fall off/out of place or to have the locking pin fall out. I ended up with the heads on the platter once but corrected that without damaged. The Apex Tool Lab combs do work so it's hard to justify the ridiculous price that DFL/RecoveryRUs ask for the tool set ($299+S/H vs $60 + S/H).

LarrySabo

Blizzard":3a1ros79 said:
[post]10211[/post]
LarrySabo":3a1ros79 said:
Which ramp tool do you use, David?
Is this a trick to get me in trouble with Jared? :lol:
I use the HDD Surgery tool.
Hahaha. No, not a trick question. Their prices are out of my league, as are DFL/RecoveryRUs's, so I'll just do the best with what I have, or perhaps try modifying them to make them attach more securely. Thanks for the quick reply.

Sam

Larry, I also use the Apex tool. I've used them for about 50 head swaps on 2 and 4 head Rosewoods and they work great for me. My set fits pretty tightly and I haven't needed to use the locking pin.

LarrySabo

Sam":1vh5eapc said:
[post]10214[/post] Larry, I also use the Apex tool. I've used them for about 50 head swaps on 2 and 4 head Rosewoods and they work great for me. My set fits pretty tightly and I haven't needed to use the locking pin.
Thanks Sam; wish I could say the same. It helps if I press the tool down to ensure it's snug against the actuator arm before rotating it into final position but it's kind of difficult to do that and hold the arm from rotating at the same time. I'll see what i can do to improve its functionality/security.

Edit: I played around with a scrap drive a bit and find that it's better without the locking pin. The problem seems to be caused by the weight of the "fingers" being off the centre line, which causes the tool to be tippy until the fingers are inserted between the heads. Holding down the tool at the back end while rotating it to slide the fingers between the heads helps but, as I said, it's a tricky holding the actuator from rotating while pressing down on the tool back end and rotating the tool using tweezers in the other hand.

Sam

Larry--I know exactly what you're talking about. I have a different method for this: Instead of rotating the tool into the heads, I press on the pivot point of the tool with tweezers to hold it in alignment and back the heads into the tool. The tool snugs up against a ridge in the drive base and doesn't move. Takes the 3rd hand out of the equation :D