SEAGATE ST500DM002 PLATTER SCREW TORQUE?

ccground

Is it necessary to have a torque spec for the platter hold down screws? I don't see any info like that on any forum. I am dealing with a 1 platter swap and seem to have excessive vibration of the client platter in the donor body. The client drive motor was dead so couldn't determine if it had any vibration initially. Anyone else had this issue and if so how did you resolve it? Thanks to all of you for your help on here.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
There's often a balancing ring that can be spun to help with that. But, usually with 2.5" drives it's not a big issue.

ccground

Thanks for reply Jared. This is a 3.5" Seagate F3 drive. The heads had stopped in the middle of the platter. They seemed to spin back off the platter ok with no damage seen. Spinning the platter by hand did not seem to show any problems but at 7200 rpm could have been a different matter. I've never had a platter issue until now and was just wondering if in fact there was some published torque spec for those screws. Or if it really makes any difference.

ccground

Thanks for reply Jared. This is a 3.5" DM drive. Initially drive was dead, needed to do a platter swap to a donor. I never gave much thought to these screws before: just tightened them up to about what I thought they were. Thought maybe I ought to find out if anyone torques these or knows a torque spec for them. Or if it even is needed.

Sam

I know exactly what you mean--sort of an angry vibration after a platter swap, or after having to remove the platters for any reason. I see it more with multiple-platter Seagate drives.
IMO it's not incorrect torque on the ring screws causing the platter wobble (as long as you have them all torqued down evenly), it's the miniscule imbalance introduced by unscrewing the securing ring and moving the platter. It's impossible to get it back exactly how it was before but most of the time it ends up being a non-issue.
Like Jared pointed out--some drives have a balancing ring that can be spun around. The ones that don't need a more creative approach. But be wary--too much of that vibration can kill the heads and cause media damage.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
I must have misread the title (or maybe you edited it). I could have sworn we were initially talking about an ST500LM002 :?

Yeah, 3.5" Seagate drives are prone to getting the motor spindle bent too. I assume the original drive was wobbling after you freed the heads and that's why you opted for platter swap???

ccground

Original drive brought to me completely dead. Opted not to test further until internal inspection of heads/platter. After opening saw heads stopped in middle of platter surface. Heads removed easily from platter surface to combs. Removed HSA and inspected platter for damage. Didn't see any. Had a donor body and motor. Tested client PCB on donor and motor spun up. So I swapped platter to donor, tested with client PCB. Motor spin up fine but a slight vibration in platter and then a bit more. Inspected platter by hand turning and it looks ok that way so it' seated fine. So I thought I'd ask if there was a torque spec I should follow in tightening those platter screws. I've never had an issue with those screws before and just tightened them down to what I thought was close. I assume it may be a balance issue now as the donor platter/body did not have a vibration.