Seagate-ST1000DM003-1CH162 scratch on the platter 0

pc3000

Model : ST1000DM003-1CH162
Firmware : HP34
Capacity : 931.51 GB (1 953 525 168)

There is a scratch on the platter 0,
The scratch is very close to the inside of the platter (to the motor) Is there a way to prevent the head to reach scratch?

[bbvideo=560,315]https://youtu.be/gmCOTz0YVfA?t=465[/bbvideo]
I tried to do like a video, not working.
Do I need to change some settings before?

Hi,
After the glue application is the head even going near it "Scratch" if yes you need to make sure its little far off.Also check that surface Under Microscope .This Mod Should Work If You Use New Set Of Heads ,Do Check For Preamp Before Swap .This is a RAMP Based Model

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Also, keep in mind that this video is showing a much older Seagate drive where this works. As you get to newer and newer drives the density is much higher. So it'll take less physical damage to make a platter unrecoverable. You're dealing with 1Tb platters in that model, so even scratches too small to see may be more than enough to keep killing the heads or destroy the SA.

pc3000

Amarbir[CDR-Labs said:
":1k9lpcz7]Hi,
After the glue application is the head even going near it "Scratch" if yes you need to make sure its little far off.Also check that surface Under Microscope .This Mod Should Work If You Use New Set Of Heads ,Do Check For Preamp Before Swap .This is a RAMP Based Model

I took a new donor out of my stock for that
(I never do experiments on the client's drive - P)