Seagate Preamp Pulled From ROM (Requests)

gameboybin

That looks like it's a Rosewood ROM and we don't have a method to read out the preamp on those ROMs yet. Not a reliable one anyway. Besides, the preamp rarely matters wth those. It's more important that you're in the correct family (e.g _A5 _8C _AF) and have correct head map than anything else.
Oh! I found out that mine are Rosewood drives. So no Preamp in ROM. So how do i check headmaps???

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Oh! I found out that mine are Rosewood drives. So no Preamp in ROM. So how do i check headmaps???
Not supported by any tools at this point I'm afraid (at least as far as my somewhat out-of-date-knowledge). I never managed to find a readable preamp version in the ROM. Maybe it's not stored there, or at least not in plain text that can be seen.

The best bet is usually just to match the family of rosewood (e.g _A5, _A7, etc.) and then get the closest date donor you can find. Best to match within months, not years. Even just 4-5 months I've often found to be too far off. Someone I talked to even suggested that the change in year seems to correlate to change in heads. So Dec 2020 heads might not work in Jan 2021 drive (not sure how true this is, I've had mixed results there).