Seagate desktop hdd 5tb st5000dm000

gadgetfriendly

Hello folks.. Last time I posted I got some good feedback and what to first off thank the community. I have received a HDD from a Friend that has stopped working. What I have noticed is on a Windows computer it does make a sound detection but does not show the hdd nor does it show in the computer management. The heads are parked off the platter and I can hear a distant clicking noise. The platter does not spin aswell. Anything I can do as a prerequisite test before I go crazy on the Insides

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gadgetfriendly

So after messing with it I believe I might have a bad Sata to usb pcb since unplug in 3 other hdd and I get the same noise and they are known good hdd

gadgetfriendly

IMG_0250.JPG I checked the diodes and caps to see if I can find a short but haven't found one ... It lights up and the computer does detect and only detects but doesn't head hdd

pclab

You should have another tools to diagnose the drive...
But if you think it's USB problem, why don't you connect directly to SATA?

LarrySabo

Did you open the drive outside of cleanroom conditions (as it appears you did), and run it with the cover off?

gadgetfriendly

So running it with the cover off I can see the heads going to the center of plate and back off the plate disk . Plate spins then stops after a few seconds

gadgetfriendly

On a Linux boot it sees the hd at 4.1gb only and does display the serial number and model number

jol

I really hope:
1. Its your drive you messing with.
2. You don't need the data stored on it.

Edit:
Auch, just noticed
gadgetfriendly":19hungiq said:
I have received a HDD from a Friend that has stopped working.
Hopefully data is no needed