Scott Moulton's Platter Replacement Video

LarrySabo

That's a brand new video and I hadn't seen that technique. Thanks. I had seen this one, where he uses tape and lifts the platters and spacers straight out, without inverting them. It's the same as HDD Recovery Services uses in this video. When I tried it, I got tape stuck all over the platters and stuck to my gloves. Cue the clowns! LOL. The trick is to remove the gloves before working with the tape. I need to practice more.

LarrySabo

abedalkareem":fnoim2uq said:
[post]6742[/post] I bet this drive will not work once again
It was just a demo of the technique, done in a classroom setting I think. It would be more difficult to demo if done in a laminar flow bench, which I doubt he would have in a classroom setting. In any case, the method looks riskier compared to the other method; many more opportunities for platter misalignment/damage/contamination, I think. Still worth experimenting with, though, but not on a client's drive. :)

lcoughey

If you are going to use tape, I don't suggest you do the flip over technique, as it is very difficult to put the platters back into a casing. It is better to make tape handles or a device to grab the platters out.

If you want to use the technique by Scott, perhaps you should at least invest in this.

http://www.dtidata.com/basereplace.htm

Blizzard

I had used the tape method on some easy single platter jobs in the past. When I received my first multi-platter Seagate with a stuck spindle I invested in a set of cheap platter swap tools. It was easy to use and solved the case. After that I have only had single platter but I used the tools since I have them. It's easier on the nerves than hoping the tape holds :)
Luckily I haven't had any stuck spindles on HDDs with spacers. Does anyone make a pro tool for those or is DIY the only option?

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Actually the "Base Replace" system that Luke referenced above is designed for platter swapping drives with the spacers. I've never used it, I came up with my own technique to replace the spindle bearing, but I hear it does work.

Blizzard

If I would have just clicked Luke's link for base-replace I could have answered my own question. Thanks guys!