ReclaiMe software

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Recovered image file size will be exactly the same no matter what RAID settings you use. It'll always be the same total number of sectors no matter how you de-stripe it. In my experience automated RAID recovery works about 20% of the time. The other 80% of the time requires good old manual figuring out.

Let me know if you'd like me to take a remote look at it. I tried a demo of Reclime Pro, but never got to try out it's RAID features before my trial expired. Done it so many times in R-Studio I'm pretty accustomed to that, but I wouldn't mind trying it out to see if it's got any new frills worth investing in.

pinkmouse

Thanks for the offer Jared, but I really don't think it's worth your time. :)

As I mentioned above, this was basically a Buffalo Linkstation Duo with two 500GB drives set up in Raid 0, ( I was semi-aware of the drawbacks at the time, but wanted the capacity ), to use as a iTunes music server in a home network. It served me well for about 6 years before the MB developed a power fault. From what I can tell from research, the LD used linux, so I doubt it's anything more than a standard S/W raid.

So, I think my next move is to download the full demo of Reclaime, to see if that can see the files in the recovered image, If so I'll put the disks to one side pending an answer from their support team. I did look at a Linux boot disk, Knoppix, but frankly it scared me, and seems to have a risk of the OS damaging the array if you do the slightest thing wrong. And in the meantime, I'll just dig out the crates of CDs and start burning them to a new HD...

pinkmouse

Update:

The full demo version of Reclaime can see all my music files, so I'm reasonably confident that Reclaime Raid is correctly reading the array, so it just comes down to opening the bleeping disk image files. ;)

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Not necessarily. Unless you're able to preview them to see if data actually is correct it could still be off. Sometimes it might just be reading the file name entries from the MFT based on a close configuration.

Try opening one of the image files using a demo of R-Studio and see if it can preview some large size digital camera pictures.

GDL

Hi.

I'm running an array recovery based on 4x3TB SATA drives from a HP P410 HBA. However, the the ReclaiMe Free RAID Recovery build 2228 is giving off some odd results. All disks are fine, the controller took a brain dump and deleted the array config.

If I run the array recovery with all 4 drives, it tells me that it's missing the 5th one. (What?)
If I run it on three of them, it tells me it's missing the 4th one (Correct, it is, but why do I have to run it on 3 and not all 4?)

I've had two different array values returned (Instructions below are for R-Studio giving the missing disk different places in the array but the data parity is the same? (I ran it again because it crashed))

3. Right click the disk list on the right, select "Add Disk 5 - HP LOGICAL VOLUME : CCR9SXQELS" from the pop-up menu.
4. Right click the disk list on the right, select "Add Disk 6 - HP LOGICAL VOLUME : CCR9SXQELS" from the pop-up menu.
5. Right click the disk list on the right, select "Add Disk 7 - HP LOGICAL VOLUME : CCR9SXQELS" from the pop-up menu.
6. Right click the disk list on the right, select "Add Missing Disk" from the pop-up menu.

7. On the right side of the R-Studio window, set "RAID type" to "RAID5".
8. Below that, set "Block size" to "256 KB".
9. Below that, set "Block order" to "Left Asynchronous".
10. To accomodate delayed parity, set "Number of Rows" to "64".
11. In the block map, create the arrangement as follows
1 2 3 PD
4 5 6 PD
7 8 9 PD
10 11 12 PD
13 14 15 PD
16 17 18 PD
19 20 21 PD
22 23 24 PD

and ...

3. Right click the disk list on the right, select "Add Disk 4 - HP LOGICAL VOLUME : CCR9SXQELS" from the pop-up menu.
4. Right click the disk list on the right, select "Add Disk 5 - HP LOGICAL VOLUME : CCR9SXQELS" from the pop-up menu.
5. Right click the disk list on the right, select "Add Missing Disk" from the pop-up menu.
6. Right click the disk list on the right, select "Add Disk 2 - HP LOGICAL VOLUME : CCR9SXQELS" from the pop-up menu.

7. On the right side of the R-Studio window, set "RAID type" to "RAID5".
8. Below that, set "Block size" to "256 KB".
9. Below that, set "Block order" to "Left Asynchronous".
10. To accomodate delayed parity, set "Number of Rows" to "64".
11. In the block map, create the arrangement as follows
1 2 3 PD
4 5 6 PD
7 8 9 PD
10 11 12 PD
13 14 15 PD
16 17 18 PD
19 20 21 PD
22 23 24 PD

I was a little concerned at first given that the official site for this software has zero in the way of a forum and had to sign up for this one but hopefully I can get some help here.

Thanks.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
I replied to your other thread you started about this.

I can take a look at it remotely for you if you'd like.

joe

Hello Forum

Just started to evaluate RecalimePro. That product seems to be very interesting with support for many filesystems (not yet supported in
other recovery-software :)

But something does irritate me very much:

The fact hat ReclaiMe does send telemetric-data back to their server prevents hundreds of LE-examiners around the globe to use ReckaiMe.
Why not simply offering an USB-copyprotection-dongle?

Regards,
Joe

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
I would agree that a dongle is a much better option than a continual online activation process. I've had just about enough of Data Rescue 4's unreliable servers that sometimes prevents the program from working.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
ReclaiMe":3nuhmwte said:
[post]4457[/post] Exotic devices and schemes are not economically viable for us to work with. There are too few cases to pay off the research and equipment.

Well, your software supports Drobo when nothing else does. That prompted me to drop $799 on your software even though I've got a dozen other similar programs. Sometimes it's the exotic features that gives you the edge worth paying good money for. Every $50 program out there supports NTFS to some extent. The unique features are what's gold to us.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
ReclaiMe":1n7fe08h said:
Hello everybody, I am very glad to join DataMedics forum.

Although a thread about our new software ReclaiMe Pro has been already created on this forum I open a new thread where I will answer questions related to:
• ReclaiMe
• ReclaiMe Free RAID Recovery
• Storage Spaces Recovery
• ReclaiMe Pro

Please feel free to ask any questions as to our products and tell us what you would like to see in the next versions.

So I've been using ReclaiMe Pro for a bit now, and while I think it has good potential there is one major flaw. IT IS PAINFULLY SLOW!!!

Right now I'm trying to create an image of a Drobo LUN and the speed is only around 128Kb/s no matter what mix of settings I use. I know it's nothing related to my hardware either. I'm working with image files stored on a RAID capable of 750Mb/s read/write speed. The computer has a 16-core CPU, 32Gb or RAM, etc. Nothing on my machine is maxing out, but it's like the software just pauses for several seconds, copies one or two Mb, then pauses again. Clearly the delay is in the software.

If you guys could spend the next year of development just working on speed optimizations you might have a more viable tool for professionals to use.

That's my suggestion for you.