ReclaiMe software

ReclaiMe

Hello everybody, I am very glad to join DataMedics forum.

Although a thread about our new software ReclaiMe Pro has been already created on this forum I open a new thread where I will answer questions related to:
• ReclaiMe
• ReclaiMe Free RAID Recovery
• Storage Spaces Recovery
• ReclaiMe Pro

Please feel free to ask any questions as to our products and tell us what you would like to see in the next versions.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Any chance your software can (or ever will) support recovery from RAID arrays with proprietary file systems such as EMC uses?

ReclaiMe

Not likely. Exotic devices and schemes are not economically viable for us to work with. There are too few cases to pay off the research and equipment.

pinkmouse

Hi

I need a little help in reading the image files that Raid Recovery produces. I have tried using Image, VHD and VHDX as options, but none of my computers, (I've tried both PC, 7 and 10, and various Mac) will open the resulting image files. Though after a fair bit of research and downloading I get the files to mount ,every time i get a result that the OS can't read the image and it reports as corrupted or not initialised. I've tried installing various EXT and other drivers but still can't get any results.

Your product page suggests I don't actually need any recovery software to use these image files, ( I don't need to recover any deleted files, just the existing contents, and recovery seemed to be successful, with about a terrabyte written to the image file which is what I'd expect), so I'd appreciate any hint on how to get access to this data.

Thanks in advance
al

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Virtual disk files can be mounted using some third party software, but they are normally used for VMs. Normally the only reason you'd want to export a RAID to a disk image would be to scan it using other data recovery software which doesn't support RAID.

pinkmouse

Indeed, and I've tried lots of third party mounting solutions, and the (VHD and VHDX) mount, but appear as an unformatted disk. The Reclaime Raid product page suggests that saving the recovered raid image to one of these formats allows you to use it without further file recovery software, I'd just like to know if that's true and how to do it. :)

pinkmouse

From their website:
Once the parameters are detected you have to either

write a copy of the RAID somewhere if all RAID's content is needed
use regular data recovery program if only some files are needed.

If you have enough unused hard disks or a license of any data recovery program compatible with ReclaiMe Free RAID Recovery, then no hidden costs are involved.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Perhaps a stupid question, but are you sure you've found the correct RAID parameters? Are you able to open large files from the filesystem?

pinkmouse

Thanks for your help Jared.

Well, the software is pretty automated, so I'm not sure what I've got, but the confidence bar after scanning is full, and as I said, the recovered image is about the size I'd expect, so I'm hopeful. As for the filesystem question, I can mount, read and write to EXT*, VHD and VHDX using various machines, so that seems fine.

All I really need is for our friendly Reclaime rep to tell me how to open these files, (or if I can't without other software, then say that! ;) ). This isn't vital data, (my CD collection, that I still have, so I can burn them again if I have a spare week or so), it would be convenient to get it back, but it means I'm loath to pay for expensive software I might use once and never touch again.