OMG! Seagate is planning to build this!!!

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
I know this was already mentioned on hddguru, but I just had to post it here for a laugh:

aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS9UL08vNzM3MTk2L29yaWdpbmFsL3NlYWdhdGUtbXVsdGktYWN0dWF0b3ItZ2lmLXJlYWwuZ2lm

So if Grenadas with 6 heads and one actuator have about a 40% failure rate, how will a 16 head double actuator fare? By my math, it'll have a 106% failure rate.

jol

Jared":2j8lesvu said:
[post]9398[/post]it'll have a 106% failure rate.
your calculation is based on 8 platters and 16 heads
this one has 8 platters but only 14 heads are in use :lol: :lol: :lol:

14 heads.JPG
so, its only 93% :twisted: :twisted: :evil: :evil: :lol:

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
jol":30jcp1fi said:
[post]9402[/post] this one has 8 platters but only 14 heads are in use

You're right, I guess that bottom platter was already deemed useless for storing data, so they just left it in there to avoid filling up their dumpster. :lol:

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Actually watching this video again, there are 16 heads, but the top two are floating in midair above the top platter and the bottom platter is completely unused.

I guess Seagate is already having alignment issues and it's still just a concept model.

jol

Jared":1nlgjgei said:
[post]9410[/post] Actually watching this video again, there are 16 heads, but the top two are floating in midair above the top platter and the bottom platter is completely unused.
thats what I meant only 14 heads in use :lol: :lol: :lol:

So just 93% and not 106 :twisted: :twisted: :evil: :evil: :evil: :lol: :lol: :lol: