MyBook Live Duo

pclab

Hi Guys

Got a case here with this enclosure, that have 2x3TB HDD's inside. Client said that they are in Mirror.

Client claimed it stopped working, can't access data.

When I try to connect to the WEB UI, I get gibberish and can't login. If I use the WD Smartware tool, I can see the volume, but I can only access the Public folder (which is empty). If I want to access the Smartware volume, it asks me the username and password (the client gave it to me), but it always gives me error to login. I think this could related to the same thing that causes the faillure of the WEB UI login.
I have contacted WD about this error to login to WEB UI, and they said it's a enclosure faillure :shock: :shock: and the solution passes by using software to recover data.
I have passed RStudio on both of them and nothing.
My questions are:
1st - If he used Smartware, there's no way to get the data back, right? Or can PC3k manage this encription?
2nd - Can they be in RAID 1???

What do you think?

Thanks

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
It's easy enough to see if they are a mirror, just compare a random sector on all the drives in HEX.

I encountered one WD NAS where the data was all encrypted. Unfortunately, in my case the customer had reset the NAS so the key was lost. I'm honestly not even sure where the key is stored.

pclab

But if he used Smartware, no chances, right?
Or maybe get a working enclosure, put the HDD's in and hope the username and password are right...

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
I'm honestly not sure. It's worth trying to see if that works. I don't know if the DEK is stored in the NAS's own OS on the drives, or if it's stored in a ROM type chip inside the NAS hardware.