Mini SD card in SD/MMC/RS-MMC USB adapter = unplugged while copying

I was copying photos from the Mini SD card of a camera onto HDD in Dell laptop. Laptop was bumped and the drive came out a little bit when it was about 1/3 of the way done copying to laptop. I then unplugged it, tried it back into the Dell laptop and then tried in my Lenovo which I'm currently using but haven't removed it because I remember reading that unplugging it makes recovery harder. On the Dell the target folder has 491 files throughout 5 folders and 2.17GB but many only have pieces of the photo viewable. The original folder had over 1000 photos and was at about 12-15GB. I was trying to copy the DCIM folder as-is to the laptop.

Anyways I'll be searching forums for other similar instances but if anybody could tell me a possible temp folder to check or suggest a good software (preferably open-source, but at least something cheap) that could repair these files I'd really appreciate it. They're pretty high quality photos from my cousins Canon so it's relatively valuable. Plus I'm studying to work in IT and would love to make this a (somewhat) positive instead of an embarrassment on my resume.
Thanks

pclab

What you try to do is an image of that card ASAP.
Try HDDSuperclone for that matter and then try to recover data from the image,
I believe the card is bad.