Lacie SAFE Fingerprint Reader HDD Data Recovery

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Anyone here ever work on one of these: https://www.amazon.com/LaCie-All-Terrai ... hard+drive ??? It's a Lacie Rugged SAFE fingerprint reading external hard drive.

I may have one coming in, and I'm curious how the fingerprint/encryption combination is handled. I'm told it's a Seagate internal drive, so I'm doubting it's encryption handled by the drive like you'd expect if it were a WD drive. Is it all handled by the bridge? Is the DEK able to be read off of a ROM chip on the bridge (I'm assuming it's possible).

I'm hoping in this case none of that will be necessary, as the drive does unlock and the computer tech who's with the customer (out of state) is trying to ddrescue it for me right now. But, if that fails or a future case like it should come in I'd love to know more about these.

Jared":al5d5xb5 said:
Anyone here ever work on one of these: https://www.amazon.com/LaCie-All-Terrai ... hard+drive ??? It's a Lacie Rugged SAFE fingerprint reading external hard drive.

I may have one coming in, and I'm curious how the fingerprint/encryption combination is handled. I'm told it's a Seagate internal drive, so I'm doubting it's encryption handled by the drive like you'd expect if it were a WD drive. Is it all handled by the bridge? Is the DEK able to be read off of a ROM chip on the bridge (I'm assuming it's possible).

I'm hoping in this case none of that will be necessary, as the drive does unlock and the computer tech who's with the customer (out of state) is trying to ddrescue it for me right now. But, if that fails or a future case like it should come in I'd love to know more about these.

Hello Jared ,
Did This Drive Finally Landup .What Was The Outcome Of This Case

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
The local tech was able to ddrescue the drive with the client there to swipe his finger. So I'm actually working from the image file now remotely. Looks to be a simple corrupt FAT case.

Jared":35lcctlr said:
The local tech was able to ddrescue the drive with the client there to swipe his finger. So I'm actually working from the image file now remotely. Looks to be a simple corrupt FAT case.

Jared ,
Thanks i was thinking it would have been more interesting and challenging like you always get lol right :mrgreen: