Is it possible to get my data?

tiffanynsm

I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to this stuff, but my computer died a few months ago. I no longer have the old PC, but I do have the hard drive. I believe it is an HGST. I think there may be something wrong with the hard drive, but I am not sure. Is there any way to retrieve old files off of this drive with just the drive, an empty USB, and my new computer?

pclab

If the drive is OK, you can use a USB dock or USB enclosure and you will access your data.
If the drive is not OK, then you need to perform other steps, like imaging the drive, etc, etc.
So a proper diagnosis is needed.

ailsa66

Connect your Hitachi hard drive with your computer, if you could see all of the data in that hard drive, it means that your drive is good enough to use.
However, if you could not access the data, maybe your hard drive has something wrong, now [highlight=yellow]you have to check errors[/highlight] on Hitachi hard drive with Chkdsk utility:
1. Go to Start and input cmd in search box, and hit enter.
2. Type: chkdsk C: /f /r /x (replace C: with the drive letter you want to check).
Or [highlight=yellow]use AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard (it's free) to fix errors[/highlight], just refer to this instruction: [glow=red]SPAM Removed by Admin[/glow]
If it does not work, just try to backup all data on that drive, then replace it with another one. Good Luck, buddy. :)

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
ailsa66":2yddusxr said:
Connect your Hitachi hard drive with your computer, if you could see all of the data in that hard drive, it means that your drive is good enough to use.
However, if you could not access the data, maybe your hard drive has something wrong, now [highlight=yellow]you have to check errors[/highlight] on Hitachi hard drive with Chkdsk utility:
1. Go to Start and input cmd in search box, and hit enter.
2. Type: chkdsk C: /f /r /x (replace C: with the drive letter you want to check).
Or [highlight=yellow]use AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard (it's free) to fix errors[/highlight], just refer to this instruction: [glow=red]SPAM Removed by Admin[/glow]
If it does not work, just try to backup all data on that drive, then replace it with another one. Good Luck, buddy. :)

First off, running chkdsk is [glow=red]HORRIBLE ADVICE!!![/glow] so don't do that.

@ailsa66, SPAM isn't totally prohibited here but you must be upfront about the fact that you represent the software. So rather than spamming some bad advice on a thread where it's not even appropriate, why not just create a thread about your software, introduce yourself and tell us about the software and why it's "good".

If you keep making posts like this, your software will get banned from even being mentioned here.