Interesting Clicking Hitachi Case

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
So this one I find interesting. I've got a Hitachi HTS547550A9E384 here that when it's first powered on clicks away like crazy. My first thought was to just quote for a head swap and move on to the next job. But I noticed that after about 30 clicks it finally does come ready. So I backed up the NV-RAM and SA (which worked amazingly).

So when I went to clone, I discovered that every time it got to head 2 it would go back to clicking. Disabled head 2, cloned the other three heads with only a few thousand bad sectors. Now I decide to attempt head 2 by itself (wasn't expecting much). After a bit of playing around, I've found that I can clone head 2 in reverse at about 350kb/s. It clicks for about a minute whenever I start the cloning, but then it stabilizes and reads steady.

Looks like this clicking nightmare drive will be able to image without swapping the heads at all. It'll take a full week to do it, but I just never expected that a drive with such a pronounced click could be imaged.

hddguy

You will sometimes find similar situation with some older 3.5" Hitachi and also on 2.5" Toshiba that knock heads for some time then reach DRDY condition.

Obviously not a good idea to let a drive knock for so long, but in the right circumstances it can be beneficial :)